General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Can I drive in S when driving in town?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:05 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Can I drive in S when driving in town?

wow, cvts are pretty simple. i think that i understood that better than when i read about the torque converter a couple weeks ago.

do you know if they have incorporated this technology into the performance and tuning industry, because the site states that it can accelerate like 25 percent better than both it's manual and automatic counterparts?

Old 08-14-2007, 10:10 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, they can accerlerate better becuase you dont have to shift gears... but there is a lot of downsides, the main one is that it is only working off of friction on a very small surface, so it cannot hold a lot of power. It can hold for everyday stuff, but it cant take the beating a tuner would give it...

Old 08-29-2007, 07:05 PM
HCF Member

i guess we just have to hand it over to the engineers and wait patiently for them to perfect it, it's alright, i'm patient

Old 08-29-2007, 10:08 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I guess... but I still like the feel of a standard tranny, shifting and all. But I'm young and able-bodied, so maybe when I'm old I will want an auto, but I hope not.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:22 PM
HCF Member

probably not, having a manual and controlling the stick is something you fall in love with, i get really pissed whenever i have to drive an auto, so i'll probably stick with a manual all my life

Old 08-30-2007, 08:13 PM

I was watching this auto show on speed channel and they were talking about automatics vs manuals and autos beat manuals when you do a little tweaking to them with a rebuild kit.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:47 AM
HCF Member

well that depends a lot on the type of auto... lol seriously, and it also depends on what you do with it. A lot of times, if the engine has a crap load of torque, then an auto will do great in a drag, especially since you can spool the engine and hold the brake on the line. Also, if they are strong enough, they can shift faster and smoother than a manual, but then you are getting into a lot of money for one.
More often than not, an automatc in an autoX isnt the best because you need to keep your RPM up as high as you can, and still apply a little or a lot of power (modulating the clutch) and an auto generally wont let you keep the RPM high without applying the engine's full power. But, like you said, if they rebuilt and tweaked then, I'm sure they could do well. Anyway, thats my .02

Old 08-31-2007, 09:47 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Basil

well that depends a lot on the type of auto... lol seriously, and it also depends on what you do with it. A lot of times, if the engine has a crap load of torque, then an auto will do great in a drag, especially since you can spool the engine and hold the brake on the line. Also, if they are strong enough, they can shift faster and smoother than a manual, but then you are getting into a lot of money for one.
More often than not, an automatc in an autoX isnt the best because you need to keep your RPM up as high as you can, and still apply a little or a lot of power (modulating the clutch) and an auto generally wont let you keep the RPM high without applying the engine's full power. But, like you said, if they rebuilt and tweaked then, I'm sure they could do well. Anyway, thats my .02
Definetly a good point about the autox. I've seen a video of a cvt civic on an autox course though. I'll have to find the video and post it up.