General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Which car, which mods????

Old 05-17-2009, 07:58 PM

I found a super clean 98 civic Si coupe Mt 2L . The owner says it has this motor, d16y7 without vtec. He has some mods to the head, has headers, sway and torsion bars. Modified suspension setup, skunk 2 springs, high pressure fuel pump , oz racing speedline wheels, and other stuff. He is asking $ 5,800 for the car. Is the price ok? How easy is it to turbocharge this motor? Overall, is this a smart buy?

Old 05-17-2009, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Evoman
I found a super clean 98 civic Si coupe Mt 2L . The owner says it has this motor, d16y7 without vtec. He has some mods to the head, has headers, sway and torsion bars. Modified suspension setup, skunk 2 springs, high pressure fuel pump , oz racing speedline wheels, and other stuff. He is asking $ 5,800 for the car. Is the price ok? How easy is it to turbocharge this motor? Overall, is this a smart buy?
Don't get that.

There's a few things wrong with this.

First off, are you in the USA?

-There's no such thing as a 1998 Civic Si in the USA.
-If it has a D16Y7 it's not a 2L, it's a 1.6L.
-Even if you are in Canada, the Canadian 1998 Civic Si comes with a D16Y8 not a D16Y7, so wtf.
-The D16Y7 is not going to be as good for your power goal but it can be made to work. It kinda pretty much sucks though. You'd be way better off with a D16Z6, D16Y8, or B16A2, like I already said.
-That is way overpriced
-The seller doesn't sound like he knows anything, so it's probably horribly done work.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:11 PM

No, I am in Mexico. I have been looking by internet and this seller has the car far away from where I live. The car was imported from Texas. I am only quoting what he posted, that is the reason why I need your advice. Thanks for it in advance. I suspected that D16..... was a 1.6L motor, but I was not sure.
There is another one for sale. This is a 1998 HONDA CIVIC HX V-TEC . It looks pretty clean too. He is asking 4,000 dlls. What do you think? I have no idea what motor came with this car.

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Don't get that.

-Even if you are in Canada, the Canadian 1998 Civic Si comes with a D16Y8 not a D16Y7, so wtf.
-The D16Y7 is not going to be as good for your power goal but it can be made to work. It kinda pretty much sucks though. You'd be way better off with a D16Z6, D16Y8, or B16A2, like I already said.
-That is way overpriced
-The seller doesn't sound like he knows anything, so it's probably horribly done work.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:16 PM

I found another EX MT 1.8 L 2p 1998 model. No major mods on this one. He is asking 4,500.

Don't get that.

-That is way overpriced

Old 05-17-2009, 08:16 PM

Hmm, well if it was imported from Texas, that's definitely wrong info.

The HX comes with a D16Y5 lean burn VTEC-E engine made for fuel economy.

The models I listed earlier are going to be the ones you want. I promise you.
96-00 EX
99-00 Si
92-95 EX
92-95 Si
OR 92-95 Hatchback and swap in a D16Z6

That EX you just mentioned is a better choice. Only problem is that if you're gonna make that kind of power you'll have to shim the oil pump so your engine isn't starved for oil (oil pump on D16Y8 sucks). No big deal though, fixable.

EDIT: where is it from? An EX comes with a D16Y8 which is a 1.6L

Old 05-17-2009, 08:22 PM

Check the following link and you will see the car. When you get into that site you will see other civics on sale

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/...g-98-60000-_JM

Hmm, well if it was imported from Texas, that's definitely wrong info.

The HX comes with a D16Y5 lean burn VTEC-E engine made for fuel economy.

The models I listed earlier are going to be the ones you want. I promise you.
96-00 EX
99-00 Si
92-95 EX
92-95 Si
OR 92-95 Hatchback and swap in a D16Z6

That EX you just mentioned is a better choice. Only problem is that if you're gonna make that kind of power you'll have to shim the oil pump so your engine isn't starved for oil (oil pump on D16Y8 sucks). No big deal though, fixable.

EDIT: where is it from? An EX comes with a D16Y8 which is a 1.6L

Old 05-17-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Evoman
Check the following link and you will see the car. When you get into that site you will see other civics on sale

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/...g-98-60000-_JM
That thing is riced out to the bone. I can't read very much spanish so the info on the site doesn't help me.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:30 PM

Yeah, you are right. And I think that most of those cars will be like that. Most of the owners are kids or young guys with a very small budget with which they try to make those cars look like The fast and the furious lookalike cars.
Probably I did not say what I will do with the car. My plan is to strip it , take away anything that is extra weight, put some race seats, roll cage, paint it in race colors , drop in a great motor and suspension and hit the track. That is why I don't care about all the horrible bolt ons , all of that is going to the trash.

That thing is riced out to the bone. I can't read very much spanish so the info on the site doesn't help me.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:33 PM

oh alright.

still, i really think that for a track car you would be much happier with a 92-95 hatchback and if it's not an Si, do an engine swap to a D16Z6 (cheap to do).

Old 05-17-2009, 08:36 PM

Ok, so what I will do is hunt one of those. Eventually I will find one. How much should I expect to pay for a car like that, considering that it is clean and not crashed.

oh alright.

still, i really think that for a track car you would be much happier with a 92-95 hatchback and if it's not an Si, do an engine swap to a D16Z6 (cheap to do).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which car, which mods????