General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Which Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 07:31 AM
Default Which Civic?

Hey everybody, this is my first post and this forum seemed to be the best one to ask this question to.

I am looking at buying a Civic, and need advice on which one to buy.

I live in the UK so some model / engine names may be different to other places but Im sure there must be some similarites.
I am not sure which model to buy, (if you are in the UK and can suggest which models are reasonably insurance friendly), I am 20 years old so insurance is still gonna be expensive otherwise I probably would of bought the Type-R. I am looking at the EK model mainly and the ones I have been considering the most are the 1.8 Vti 2 door coupe or the 1.6 VTI 3 door hatchback. From these two models what kind of performance can I expect from standard unmodified, and potential performance from relatively small upgrades such as air intakes, exhaust, or any other modifications you could suggest should be bought early in the tuning stages.

Also wether there are any other models in the EK range that I should consider, apart from the Type-R which I would like, but can't afford to insure, even if any companies will cover me.

I apologize in advance if this question has been posted many times before.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks.

Old 04-10-2005, 06:27 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Which Civic?

the 5th gen and 6th gen are always the best for hopping up

EDIT: best meaning easiest (not sayin its easy, just easier than others) to hop up

Old 04-12-2005, 05:04 PM

Hi TJ, i am also from the UK. i have owned 2 civics now both EG's--- an LSi and now a VTi.
insurance wise, i am only 19 but i still only pay £813 for my VTi through www.elephant.co.uk,
correct me if i am wrong but i dont think there is an EK 1.8vti coupe?? the 1.8vti's are all 5dr hatch's (EK)

if you can afford the insurance i would definately go for the EK 1.6 VTi model, they are still slightly quicker than its bigger brother the 1.8VTi and much better for parts/modding/styling. And they are cheaper than the EG to insure
I'm an EG civic man myself but still wouldn't say no to an EK Vti as they look and perform very well.

Hope this helps you in your quest

Old 04-13-2005, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the replies,

You're right about the EK coupe, it's not 1.8vti, it think its just 1.6. Anyway, since I posted this I've had a change of mind, I think Im gonna buy an EG hatchback model instead simply because I think they look better, and the choice of styling upgrades look better. I have some questions about this model though. Which is the best model to buy, I haven't seen any vti models of the EG, if there is such thing, how much better is the performance than say the 1.5 Lsi, I am definately looking at buying a Vtec model but not really sure of the range, so which EG 3 door hatchbacks come with the Vtec engine. Also, when I come to upgrade the engine/exhaust I want to ideally buy parts like Blitz, HKS etc.... are these available for the Lsi or similar models or do they just make parts for like the Type-Rs.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:24 PM

Hi again, they do do an EG VTi-- i have one (look at my avitar) but they are a bit rarer than the EK VTi
as goes models in the 3dr hatch they do a:
LSi 1.5 SOHC 16v-- (non vtec) 110bhp
ESi 1.6 SOHC 16v-- (vtec) 130bhp
VTi 1.6 DOHC 16v-- (vtec) 160bhp

these models are the only ones to go for if you want performance. The EG VTi is slightly quicker than the EK VTi (bit lighter)
if i was you i would def go for the VTi. i was looking for mine for about a month till i found it, but have a look on ebay there are a few on there
The VTi is the most moddable of the 3, and HKS, Blitz etc do do performace upgrades for them