General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Civic Diesel for US

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 08:36 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Civic Diesel for US

you wouldn't have to stop idling, you could slip the clutch and transverse the power to the battery powered units, that way you'll cut down on consumption by only idling rather than giving it throttle. you could see probably a 25% gain.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:48 AM
HCF Member

why the f would you want a diesel!! its $ 5.05 per gall and going up.. Get a Civic HX

Old 06-08-2008, 08:54 AM
HCF Member

be nice

Old 06-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: enigma34

why the f would you want a diesel!! its $ 5.05 per gall and going up.. Get a Civic HX
The higher cost of diesel fuel would be offset by the 20-30% higher fuel efficiency of the diesel engine.

Nonetheless, a negative aspect of the diesel engine is that it generates higher amounts of dangerous pollutants (particulate and NOx) because the fuel is dirtier (less refined).

Old 06-08-2008, 01:02 PM
HCF Member

but fuel refiners give off pollutants when they refine crude oil, so it's not as big of a deal, it's mainly about consumption.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:02 PM
HCF Member

but fuel refiners give off pollutants when they refine crude oil, so it's not as big of a deal, it's mainly about consumption.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

Information in the picture (taken from link below) seems to disagree with your statement. Can you direct me to a reliable source that supports your comment?

Name:  picture_1033.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  88.4 KB

http://www.grinningplanet.com/2005/0...ne-article.htm

Old 06-08-2008, 02:25 PM
HCF Member

inever said it was more than gasoline, just responding to the post about refining.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Based on my limited reading, gasoline seems better than diesel by requiring lower energy consumption and producing less pollution when both the refining process and automobile use are considered together. Therefore, gasoline is better than diesel with respect to not only energy consumption but also pollution production. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Correction:
Above I failed to correct for the 20-30% higher mileage obtained with diesel compared to gasoline. Therefore, I would revise my statement to say:

Based on my limited reading, gasoline and diesel are comparable with respect to energy consumption when both the refining process and automobile use are considered together. In contrast, diesel is substantially worse than gasoline with respect to pollutant production when both the refining process and automobile use are considered together.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:03 PM
HCF Member

Diesel is awesome and heres why, you get more MPG so in the long run you save money even though it costs a bit more than regular gasoline. Most importantly you could convert it so it runs on veggie oil and getting veggie oil is free, restaurants would be happy to have someone take their used oils (they have to pay to get rid of it) and all you need is a simple sock filter to refine it and you got a car that runs on fuel that is free and much more environment friendly.
Only thing that sucks about diesels is that the cars cost more than the gasoline ones.

Quick Reply: Civic Diesel for US