General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

civic info for a noob

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:51 AM

The price is a straight up trade. I am trading my 01 Xtreme S10. Mine is worth slightly more maybe $400.

Whats the dash D4 light?

No lights stay on while it idles, I havent driven it yet, I plan to do that soon. It idles fine if I remember right it was 900 or 1000 rpm. I do not know about the timing belt/water pump/belt tensioner/drive belts. The guy bought the car 2 years ago from a dealer and he said he hasnt done anything to it besides oil changes what they did he doesnt know. I looked at the belt but couldnt see it too well.

Do you have to do anything special to do change all these parts belts, etc?

Old 01-18-2009, 03:47 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by xdime
The price is a straight up trade. I am trading my 01 Xtreme S10. Mine is worth slightly more maybe $400.

Whats the dash D4 light?

No lights stay on while it idles, I havent driven it yet, I plan to do that soon. It idles fine if I remember right it was 900 or 1000 rpm. I do not know about the timing belt/water pump/belt tensioner/drive belts. The guy bought the car 2 years ago from a dealer and he said he hasn't done anything to it besides oil changes what they did he doesnt know. I looked at the belt but couldnt see it too well.

Do you have to do anything special to do change all these parts belts, etc?
The dash D4 is when the D4 light on the dash blinks all day long. From what i've heard a blinking D4 light means the car has transmission problems. My accord has a blinking D4 light and the only problem i have is that it overheats and i can't figure out why never actually have seen any tranmission problems. my civic though has a solid D4 light.

As for needing anything special your better off having a shop do the timing belt as they usually offer some kind of warranty plus if in the future you need to sell the car at least the next owner will know you did the job and have a receipt.. I plan on doing mine in the next week or so. Plan on buying all the parts including front motor mount for about $180 for all the parts i need and then take the car to a local Martino Tire Goodyear which told me about $167 for labor so no more than $400 for a timing belt replacement and front motor mount.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Whats the dash D4 light?
As mentioned, a blinking dash D4 light indicates a transmission problem. A specific problem code will be stored in the ECU. The code can be retrieved similarly to a CEL code.

The CEL, on the other hand, stores trouble codes for both the engine and transmission.

No lights stay on while it idles, I havent driven it yet, I plan to do that soon.
Make sure the CEL works (i.e., turns ON for 2 seconds and then turns OFF when the key is turned to ON(II).

When you go to check the car, try to get answers to as many of the questions I posted as possible. This will help prevent any major surprises after the purchase and may also help you negotiate a better deal.

I do not know about the timing belt/water pump/belt tensioner/drive belts.
If you cannot determine with absolute certainty whether the timing belt has been replaced, then you will need to have the job done (~400-$650 by a mechanic or the dealer).

Old 01-18-2009, 05:56 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
As mentioned, a blinking dash D4 light indicates a transmission problem. A specific problem code will be stored in the ECU. The code can be retrieved similarly to a CEL code.

The CEL, on the other hand, stores trouble codes for both the engine and transmission.

Make sure the CEL works (i.e., turns ON for 2 seconds and then turns OFF when the key is turned to ON(II).

When you go to check the car, try to get answers to as many of the questions I posted as possible. This will help prevent any major surprises after the purchase and may also help you negotiate a better deal.

If you cannot determine with absolute certainty whether the timing belt has been replaced, then you will need to have the job done (~400-$650 by a mechanic or the dealer).
Since the car is 10yrs old and has 125k on it I would definitely do the timing belt/water pump/drive belts ASAP after buying the car. I would also drain and refill the tranny (with Honda OEM ATF-Z1), check the tires, get a wheel alignment, do a brake fluid flush, a power steering flush, change the plugs, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter, air filter. I would also install a cabin air filter (the '99-00 Civic didn't come with one OEM in the US, but there is a place for it in the A/C unit (since EDM UKDM and JDM did). Buy a 1998 CRV cabin filter set (Honda part# 80290-ST3-E01) and here is the DIY on hater-tech
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2112319

Last edited by TheJGB3; 01-19-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by SPLAT
It sounds ok, just missing a price.
About that baby seat, there is plenty of room. But i would get one of these.
recaro makes freakin' baby seats?!?!!? i want one in my next life!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:00 PM

Is it easy to do the belt and tensioner? I know on some FWD cars you have to take a motor mount off and jack up the engine. At least thats how it is on my wifes car. It was a Pain in my ****.

Those Recardo car seats are awesome. They even have a couple models that are not expensive.

Last edited by xdime; 01-19-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:30 PM

Is it easy to do the belt and tensioner? I know on some FWD cars you have to take a motor mount off and jack up the engine. At least thats how it is on my wifes car. It was a Pain in my ****.
Yea that's what you have to do.

It's a lot easier on a Civic than on many other FWD cars though.

And even though it's a pain in the ***, you still need to do it. You can either do it to get it over with and not worry about it for another 105k miles, or you can not change it and have it snap on you while driving.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:39 PM
HCF Member

Those Recardo car seats are awesome. They even have a couple models that are not expensive.
Yes the motor mount on the driver's side fender has to be removed.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:43 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction

or you can not change it and have it snap on you while driving.

ooooooo i know that feeling. Driving one night with my accord 3 months ago. i pull into the shopping plaza a couple of blocks before my house. after shopping i get in my car and the car starts giving me trouble starting. i figured it's cuz of the overheating. anyways i force it to start and quickly put that sucker in reverse and quickly put it in drive and accelerated that mother all the way home cuz if not it was gonna shut off on me. next morning as i get in my car to go to work the car wouldn't start. I figured i screwed it up with what i forced it to do the previous night. I check all possiblites and just came back to the timing belt must have slipped. got my mechanic to put a new belt on and guess what the car turned on and ran fine. How many engines do you see survive a timing belt story and live to tell about it.

Last edited by WILMER007; 01-19-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ
xdime, I think Civics are great. I have two.

What vehicle are you trading?

Items to consider before buying:

1) Does the CEL turn ON for 2 seconds and then turn OFF when the ignition key is turned to ON(II)? Does the dash D4 light blink?

2) Do the SRS, seatbelt, battery, or oil pressure light remain ON when the driving?

3) Has the timing belt/water pump/belt tensioner/drive belts been replaced?

4) Are the axle CV-joint boots or steering rack boots ruptured? Is fluid leaking from the steering rack?

5) Crawl under the engine. Is there any evidence that fluids (oil, coolant, transmission fluid) are leaking?

6) Is the engine idle steady (~700-800 rpm) or does it make unusual noises when running?

7) Does the transmission shift relatively smoothly?
good info, thanks