General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Clutch or tranny issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:39 PM
HCF Member
Default Clutch or tranny issue?

I have a 97 civic 5spd.

A little while back it developed a ticking noise comming from around the tranny area. The sound happens when I let my foot off of the clutch petal in neutral. Its a persistent almost ticking noise. I had the clutch replaced and the noise is not as loud but is still there. Has anyone else experienced this and or know what causes this, and if it is indeed cause for a tranny rebuild. Thanks for your time.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:47 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Clutch or tranny issue?

Well at first I was going to say clutch but since you got it replaced I dont know. Mine clicked and stuff when I pushed in and was in neutral. It turns out one of the little springs broke off and was flying around in there. It finally got caught somewhere and I couldnt use the clutch at all. But no since its not that I would say throw out bearing maybe? Thats what I first thought mine was until I pulled it apart.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:24 PM
SiX

Do you hear anything while driving? Louder, Not at all?

Old 04-25-2007, 05:06 AM

if your civic is not an ex model and you replace the tranny get a tranny from an ex. the mainshaft in all of the other d series trannys suck. i have changed 6 trannys in 96-00 civics and the mainshafts were sloppy in all of them. i have never had a problem with a tranny from an ex model. i dont know why this is it must be different bearings. if the sound cointinues and starts to sound like a grinding more than a clicking this is prob your problem. also when the clutch was changed how long ago was it and did you have the flywheel resurfaced.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:36 AM
HCF Member

had it replaced about 6000k ago, and no, I didn't touch the flywheel. It looked ok to me. When driving in First Gear and sometimes in Second it seems to Sometimes get really loud. Not the engine, but the tranny area.