General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Cold Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Default Cold Transmission

I'm new to this Hybrid transmission. But is it normal when it's not warmed up and first started It won't pop into gear right away?

I have a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid. When I put in reverse after starting it. It doesnt move until I give it some gas then it Pops into gear it seems. Normal?

Old 01-24-2008, 10:08 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Cold Transmission

I don't know much about the hybrids, but I know with my car when the trans fluid is cold the shifting is a bit more clunky and stiff. It's not anything unheard of, but should go away once it reaches normal operating temperature (which takes a little bit for the transmission).

Make sure you let your car warm up fully befor driving off,should idle around 800-1000rpm. Especially in sub zero conditions.This is crucial for the longevity of an engine. The cold engine oil isn't going to flow thru the engine properly lubricating vital friction points efficiently, untill it warmsand becomesmore versitile.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:33 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Cold Transmission

I'm not familiar with the Hybrid tranny, but that doesn't sound unusual for a normal auto tranny in sub-zero temps. Take it into the dealer for a warranty look-see if it really troubles you. If they give it the ok, just flush the tranny and use synthetic fluid at the first tranny servicing. Until then, let the engine idle until oil pressure has been up to normal for at least a minute or so, shift it into gear, and wait for the tranny to fully engage before touching the gas. Drive off slowly until the tranny warms up a little and operates smoothly.

Cold lubes are molasses-like lubes. They don't flow well.