General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Does carfax show every service record?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Default Does carfax show every service record?

If a car's carfax report has very few service records, is it something I should worry about? Do most auto mechanic shops file a report after servicing, changing oil, or doing routine maintanance on a car?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:04 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by yodachoda87
If a car's carfax report has very few service records, is it something I should worry about? Do most auto mechanic shops file a report after servicing, changing oil, or doing routine maintanance on a car?
As far as I know, only dealers do this. And even then, some don't. My car was serviced frequently by Wesloh Honda before I bought it, I have contacted them a few times to check when certain work was done, but only a few of the entries showed up on Carfax/Autocheck.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya its very rare... only dealerships do. so best to ask for receipt of any work they claim they have done.
with my cars i have my own folder on each vehicle and i keep every receipt and for my oil changes i myself right down the date and mileage on the odometer. this way when i sell the car for any reason i have proof of regular maintenance which can really help your resale of the cars.

Last edited by addiction2bass; 08-04-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Angry Admin

receipt. write.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

to lazy and dont really care. you know what i ment.LOL

Old 08-04-2009, 02:15 PM
HCF Member

lol i was like wtf is recite until I read the 3rd sentence.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Angry Admin

too. meant.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by yodachoda87
I remember watching a huge show about carfax. Carfax is not 100% and they might not even show accidents on your vehicle unlike other "carfax like " companies. eg. ( a guys X-Terra on the show had a accident before his ownership and his whole frame was bent about 2 inches, which the car fax never remported) If you're truely interested get a few companies reports including car fax to really double check, but remember it still might now have everything and that's the risk of buying a used car.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:18 PM

Carfax doesn't show a damn thing. My report shows 1 accident and its had 4 accidents.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya a carfax only takes what was reported...

say the car gets wrecked... if they have insurance and run into a tree or ect and just damage there car, well if the insurance company dealed with it then it would be reported and definatly reported if the cops where involved.
now if the owner didnt have insurance or just liability then they would just pay to have there car fixed out of there own pockets... and that is NOT REPORTED to anyone.
or if its a hit and run accident.

basically its just what the owner decides to do. pay outta pocket and not be reported at all, or have the police or insurance involved and it gets reported.

Quick Reply: Does carfax show every service record?