General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

dumb question but worth askin

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:37 PM
HCF Member
Default dumb question but worth askin

ok my exhaust system that i have installed came w/ a silencer. question is wats the difference bein with it and without it? i dont put it on cause it rattles since the muffler tip has only one hole to bolt it on. i like it off but my wife wants....

Old 04-30-2010, 01:45 PM
HCF Member

my exhaust not to be as loud. i keep tellin her the silencer wont make a difference since i'm runnin straight pipe and i have to get a magnaflow cat so it wont be as loud. we're havin our 1st baby in july, she thinks my car is gonna be too loud for him...

Old 04-30-2010, 02:41 PM
HCF Member

silencer will help a tiny bit, but the nasty fart can will still be a nasty fart can.... You can replace the muffler and have a better sounding car.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:44 PM
HCF Member

Getting a cat will also make it a bit quieter.

I have a silencer to in my exhaust to, but its tight as hell to get out, with or with out that 1 stupid bold that holds it down.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:31 PM
HCF Member

mine for some reason rattles everytime i let go of the gas... but wat does a silencer do?

Old 04-30-2010, 05:54 PM

C'mon man... a silencer.... the name of the product basically tells you what it does. Youtube exhaust systems with a silencer and you will get the idea... LOL

You should be able to fit the silencer in the exhaust screw it in tight, so it won't rattle. Hell I was pulled over way back when I had a Megan racing exhaust for it being too loud... how did I get out the ticket? "Officer, I have the silencer in the trunk, but I do not have something to hold it in" He then handed me a paper clip to get home with it on and proceeded to write me a ticket for my tint. The paper clip (since it wasn't tight) rattled a little bit, but not excessively.

My son was about 3-4 months at that time, and I had a hard time getting him to go to sleep without popping him in the car and taking a couple rounds through the neighborhood. LOL

Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 PM
HCF Member

LOL... mine rattles even when i tighten the bolt real tight... is it possible to take it to a muffler shop to drill 2 more holes and get bolts like other mufflers have it? or am i SOL?

Old 04-30-2010, 06:06 PM

I am sure that they can get you set-up nicely. Although, you should be able to drill another hole or two and buy some bolts/nuts from home depot and do it yourself. Unless you have nothing to drill/make a hole with.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

well yeah i don't have anything. just a 280pc set of tools and a big tool box. plus i rather have that done professionally...

Old 04-30-2010, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

by the way... how long does a stainless steel header take normally to start changin its color to gold/rainbow color and so forth?

Quick Reply: dumb question but worth askin