General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 PM
HCF Member
Default Engine?

Alright, I know this is going to make me seem like a huge noob, and I am kinda, but not this bad. I drive an 1993 SI Coupe (i'm in canada), so the EX for all you people in the states. Anyways, I have taken a look at my engine, and it's the d16z6, but I haven't been able to find where the VTEC Solenoid is located, and when I drive it, can't hear VTEC kick in. Any ideas whether I have VTEC or not? Sorry if I'm not supposed to ask this here. And I already read the 'Is your engine VTEC' FAQ, and I wasn't able to figure it out.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:13 PM

The solenoid is on the back left of your engine if you look from the front. Here is a pic I stole from the internet.

Is your check engine light (CEL) on? Does your CEL come on and then go off when you start the car?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

CEL comes on, then turns off, during normal startup. It's on for about 5 seconds, maybe less. Thanks for the quick reply as well. I won't be able to check this for sure until I get home, as I am on vacation, and the Civic had to stay at home.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 PM

You have VTEC. It's not that audible on a stock engine or stock exhaust.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 PM
HCF Member

Alright, thanks alot, hopefully i'll be able to hear it once I get my APEXi WS2.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 PM

Plus it might be kicking in at a higher rpm level than you drive at.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tranqz
Alright, thanks alot, hopefully i'll be able to hear it once I get my APEXi WS2.
Awesome exhaust. You are going to love it.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by itinerant
Plus it might be kicking in at a higher rpm level than you drive at.
Well, I've nearly redlined it with windows and moonroof wide open.

and yeah, trust, I've been looking at rev vids of the ws2 on youtube, and it sounds amazing. The guy at my local shop said he could give it to me for $420, so as soon as I get paid again, I'll be going for that. Also, would you recommend a high-flow cat? or is my stock one good enough?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:37 PM

I recommend a high flow cat. It really opens up the sound without causing raspiness. here's what I got... it's great... bolts right up really easily.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

were you thinking about getting a header too? do you have aftermarket intake?

If so, the Megan Racing header available on ebay is a great buy. Just make sure to torque down the midway flange (the joint of the 2 pieces of the header) down real good and torque them again after the first initial heat up and cool down of the header and you're golden.

for intake, you can get an AEM short ram for $100 shipped on eBay. it's better to buy it than buying an ebay intake and name brand filter because it would run you around the same total cost anyway.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 PM
HCF Member

I'll most likely be getting a header after I get a new tranny. Synchro's out between second and third. (if you know an easier fix, let me know) I've actually just recently ordered an AEM short ram from that same shop, so it should be in a few days after I get home. Also, I don't really have any tools like a torque wrench or anything, so is there a set amount I have to tighten the bolts on the header? or just give 'er a good crank? If you can't tell, I'm fairly new to the whole car modding business, so I'm still learning alot.

Quick Reply: Engine?