General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Exhaust Leak help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 06:09 PM
HCF Member
Default Exhaust Leak help

i have a leak in my exhaust pipe, about 1-2 inches in front of where it starts to bend around and go into the muffler.
it is a 2000 ex coupe. advance auto parts wants $95 for the 6 foot pipe and then ill have to buy gaskets and bolts, but my only worry is that the bolts will be rusted on and will be a beyotch to get off.
a couple shops want $200+ to replace the pipe.
The whole exhaust is stock, are there any cheap temporary things or not temporary things i can do to save on the cost? or if anyone knows where to get cheaper pipes, please let me know.
jr

Old 05-06-2006, 07:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Exhaust Leak help

I would buy an aftermarket cat back exhaust. I don't think that you can buy a pipe and replace it b/c after that bend there is a pipe and the pipe goes straight into the muffler. There is a flange and from that pipe there is a straight pipe into the muffler. If that is the pipe that is broken, you are better off buying a new muffler (it is the muffler and the pipe that goes to the muffler with the flange). You could get a coupler. I've seen them on sale at AutoZone. All you would have to do is put the coupler where the break in the exhaust is and secure the coupler with 2 u-bolts and nuts. That would prolly be the cheapest approach assuming that you can find a coupler in the right size. This is good since you don't have to deal with any rusted bolts. You have to take the muffler off the hangers install the coupler and put the muffler back on the hangers. The coupler thing will prolly not work if the break is in the pipe that is bent, unless you find a pipe that is bent the same way.

Old 05-06-2006, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

I would do the same. Cat backs are sooo much fun.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:00 AM
HCF Member

You can find a catback for about $200 shipped. And I had Meineke install a catback for $90. So it's possible to get your exhaust replaced along with a power increase for under $300. Basically the same price you would end up paying for that 6' pipe and the $200 labor quote your shops gave you. Incidentally, I would have those guys arrested for robbing customers like that.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:00 AM
HCF Member

Or you could do the coupler thing for like under $50 if you don't have the cash for a catback. You could prolly save the $90 and install the catback yourself.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:11 AM
HCF Member

i just just not sure if i could get the orginal rusted bolts out that are there now.

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

Or you could do the coupler thing for like under $50 if you don't have the cash for a catback. You could prolly save the $90 and install the catback yourself.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:12 AM
HCF Member

where online can you get a catback system shipped from for about $200 ??

Old 05-07-2006, 11:17 AM

egay

Old 05-07-2006, 01:26 PM
HCF Member

there are so many on egay that i wouldnt know which ones are garbage and which are decent.

post some here that are decent.

thanks.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:50 PM
HCF Member

i have been successful with exhaust leaks, but NOT with any of the aftermarket products that are made to fix it..
wire brush it, sand it , clean it, (and unless it is a big hole) and apply BONDO. i would wrap it completely around if you try this. if there is a hole such that the bondo would fall thru, i would wrap it with one of those (thin) metal patches made for that, and then bondo over everything.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak help