General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Few questions regarding me new car

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Default Few questions regarding me new car

Hello Everybody,

Last summer I purchased a 2004 Honda Civic SI. I bought it in the USA (Texas) and drove it home to Canada. The car is in great shape. I did all my inspection stuff and what not, got all that done and the mechanic said everything looked great.

I drove her for about 3 months, and then the check engine light came on. I immediately informed my dad (he helps me with most of my car problems). He mentioned that there are a few things that can trigger it, I mentioned that the car has not changed in the way it runs (no new sounds, vibrations, she feels like she runs great) so he said its most likely an O2 sensor or possibly that the gas cap is a bit loose. I needed a fillup around that time so I went and got gas, and when I put the lid on I made sure to click it at least 4 times to ensure a tight fit, and voila it went away! Well a few weeks later and then for 2 maybe 3 intervals it would come on for about a week then go away.

Now the light has come on again though, and it has been on for about a month...Again the engine sounds and looks like everything is ok. Does this sound like something that could be an expensive repair? Or does it just sound like something simple such as the O2 sensor. Is the light typically something non expensive, or is it typically a sign of something more major? The reason I am not asking my father is just cause he is currently touring in Afghanistan (Army). Any thoughts or advice would be great!

Thanks so much,

Bryan

Old 04-06-2009, 03:31 PM
HCF Member

if nothing has changed(MPG, engine running rough, weird idle, etc.)

I would simply disconnect the battery, mess with lights and horn to make sure nothing has power, and reconnect battery.

Start car up and let it idle for 20-30 minutes then turn it off.

see if check engine light comes on again after driving for a few minutes

or....

take it to autozone and let them run a scan on the ecu, I believe they do it for free. And if it does have to do with something expensive like an O2 sensor, don't buy it from them.

Go to an online parts warehouse like carpartswholesale.com or autopartswarehouse.com

I was curious to see how much an O2 sensor would be for my car and they said around $190 for any of them. I go to those sites, I can get them for $50-$80.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:52 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by inthezoneac
if nothing has changed(MPG, engine running rough, weird idle, etc.)

I would simply disconnect the battery, mess with lights and horn to make sure nothing has power, and reconnect battery.

Start car up and let it idle for 20-30 minutes then turn it off.

see if check engine light comes on again after driving for a few minutes

or....

take it to autozone and let them run a scan on the ecu, I believe they do it for free. And if it does have to do with something expensive like an O2 sensor, don't buy it from them.

Go to an online parts warehouse like carpartswholesale.com or autopartswarehouse.com

I was curious to see how much an O2 sensor would be for my car and they said around $190 for any of them. I go to those sites, I can get them for $50-$80.
+1
Since you said that the gas cap turned off the light befor, take a nother look a the cap, it might have a crack.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:05 PM

Cool thanks for the info guys Ill try to troubleshoot it further....I just get worried about my baby . hehe.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:23 AM

Dlr told me make sure gas cap clicks atleast three times...