General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

finished the project

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:48 PM
HCF Member
Default finished the project

so I bought a '98 civic ex coupe a few weeks ago... it was completely stock... here's what i have done:

aem sri
strut bars f&r
pace setter headers - 2pc 4-2-1 armor-coated
magnaflow catalytic converter
pace setter cat-back system
NGK plug wires, new dist cover, rotor, plugs
replaced seats with gray seats from 2000 civic (previous owner spilled diesel in back seat, nasty)
15" alloys from '07 honda fit sport (wanted 16's but these were cheap and they're probably lighter anyway)
new blower motor (resistor is shot as well, just haven't gotten one yet)
k&n oil filter (used mobile 5000 oil, first time i've not used mobile 1)
transmission fluid change
and a ton of cleaning...

let me know if there are some easy things that i missed that could add a bit more excitement...

overall i am pretty happy with the products i put on. the pacesetter headers are beautiful (just get the armor coated ones) and the cat-back system isn't NEARLY as loud as i expected. overall i was expecting a pretty loud car especially with the magnaflow cat, but it has a good mellow tone...

ISSUES:
pace setter headers mount the O2 sensor 6 inches lower than the stock exhaust manifold does and they do not give you an extension...had to do some soldering (which i am terrible at)...dc sports headers had the extension...
also, the flange on the headers that connects to the front of the catalytic converter wasn't close enough to the end of the pipe.. hard to explain, but the flanges couldnt get close enough to compress the thick gasket, so i cut 1/2 inch of the end of the header pipe, fits right up now...
the front strut bar (Pilot cheap one) came with two reverse threaded bolts instead of one of each, stupid detail that takes forever since I bought from autopartswarehouse.com
the FIT wheels required spacers in the back. they rubbed the suspension, i sure didn't expect that one.
the exhaust tip sits VERY close to the bottom of my bumper, there is a mm gap, hopefully i don't melt part of my bumper. I got some lower hangers for the muffler, but one size makes it a tight fit and the only other size i could find is too low...

biggest issue: previous owner stripped out the drain plug on the oil pan. i watched in awe when i removed the drain plug during my first oil change and most of the threads came with it... i was on borrowed time apparently. I used and oversized drain plug from auto parts store.. that sucker was VERY hard to get in, used my biggest impact wrench.... finally got it in but there is a very slight leak (probably 2 drops per day)... eventually i will probably have to replace the oil pan.

anyway, this has all taken me a few weeks and i have only driven the car a few times... I drove it for a few miles today (it was pouring rain) just to see if anything was going to blow up or anything, and things seemed really good, i'll get some pictures on here eventually.

feel free to comment on any of the parts that i put on or any questions you have...

Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 PM
HCF Member

sounds like you've done quite a lot in a couple of weeks to keep you civic running smoothly. what do you plan on doing next? any pics of the ride?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

pictures in a few days... yeah, since i've owned the car its been on jack stands for 95% of the time.
honestly i'm out of money, so this will have to roll for now... but then again,i'm about out of performance options other than turbo/supercharger and theres no way i can afford those right now...
i'd love a cf hood, but can't justify the price right now..
i need to detail the exterior about 4 times... the paint has potential, but its been outside its entire life