General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Found out what car I'm getting

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:17 AM
HCF Member
Default Found out what car I'm getting

I had my brother look at auctions and such because he's an auto mech. He finally ordered a 2000 Civic Lx. One of my last options, but hey, it's fine for a first car I guess. It's shipping to his house in about two days and he's going to check it out and fix some dents it has.

Anyway, long story short I have no idea what I'm going to do with this car. First off I'm going to get it repainted.. it's beige right now (ugh). I don't see too many sedans, but I want to keep it simple. Any pictures you guys have or suggestions to what I can do with this car? I'm going to use it as a daily drive btw.

Oh, I'd also like to put in a stereo because it doesn't have a cd player. I'm thinking of a sony xplod, opinions on that?

Last edited by Nemuri; 06-09-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:15 AM

I have the same car. There are PLENTY of cheap things you can do to make it look clean and simple. We'll have to see some pictures first so we know what you have to work with.

Sony xplode's are okay. They used to be garbage but it has been years since I've messed with them. I'd recommend an Alpine or Kenwood, personally.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:53 PM

Headunit:
I have a Sony xPlod headunit and I like it. It sounds good (with good speakers) and it has lasted a long time. It has the all the features that I need and it works well. Not as good as something like a Clarion, but it works great for me so if you are not a hardcore audio guy who wants to have every setting possible at your fingertips then it will work.

Speaker:
The sony xPlod speakers I had were decent. Not the best, but not even close to the worst. The thing about them is they lack a little in the lower mid-range frequencies compared to better brands. I now have Kicker components up front (with a different brand tweeter due to fitment issues) and mid-bass drivers in the rear (which is basically components with no tweeter). The mid-range and highs are great, and I get all my bass from my subwoofers. That's really the way you want it. Bass is not the job of your door speakers, they are primarily for mid-range frequencies. If you are looking for bass then you will want to get subwoofers too. Small speakers can provide some bass, but you don't want to put all the burden on them.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:28 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
I have the same car. There are PLENTY of cheap things you can do to make it look clean and simple. We'll have to see some pictures first so we know what you have to work with.

Sony xplode's are okay. They used to be garbage but it has been years since I've messed with them. I'd recommend an Alpine or Kenwood, personally.
I'll post pictures as soon as I get the car. I'll be getting it in about 6 weeks, my brother and I are gonna fly to Arizona (where my mechanic brother is at) and we'll drive it back to Washington, fun huh? =\

I'm also looking through your project thread, great stuff.

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Headunit:
I have a Sony xPlod headunit and I like it. It sounds good (with good speakers) and it has lasted a long time. It has the all the features that I need and it works well. Not as good as something like a Clarion, but it works great for me so if you are not a hardcore audio guy who wants to have every setting possible at your fingertips then it will work.

Speaker:
The sony xPlod speakers I had were decent. Not the best, but not even close to the worst. The thing about them is they lack a little in the lower mid-range frequencies compared to better brands. I now have Kicker components up front (with a different brand tweeter due to fitment issues) and mid-bass drivers in the rear (which is basically components with no tweeter). The mid-range and highs are great, and I get all my bass from my subwoofers. That's really the way you want it. Bass is not the job of your door speakers, they are primarily for mid-range frequencies. If you are looking for bass then you will want to get subwoofers too. Small speakers can provide some bass, but you don't want to put all the burden on them.
Also I'm looking at lots of headunits right now, this really caught my eye. It's about 150USD and it has some features I like! The USB port is a plus, I have an 8 gb flash drive and will be buying another. I also don't use my ipod too much anymore so might just have it for the car. Any other headsets with similar features?

Speakers I'm not sure I'm going to get anytime soon. Pretty low on money at the moment and I really want to get it painted to another color asap! Beige is not a color for me, haha.

I'm also wondering what color I should get it painted.. Black is always an option. I'm thinking I might go for teal, kind of bright teal/turquoise.

Something like: http://i35.tinypic.com/2a82795.jpg

Know if there's a name for that color? Or some sort of code?

Ahh, I also want to lower my car too. Is it hard? What would I need to buy?

Last edited by Nemuri; 06-09-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:00 AM
HCF Member

Should I stick with OEM paint or any paint would do?

Old 06-10-2010, 08:35 AM
HCF Member

I have the exact same car as you, except mine's a 1999. Same car though. Anyways, this car is slow as *****, but I didn't buy it thinking I would have a fast car. I bought it because of the awesome MPG, and it's extremely reliable (mines got 289k and still looks and drives showroom new). There are some relatively simple things I've done, to give it a sporty, clean look without ricing it out and making it look embarrassing:

--Short ram intake (gives a little more throttle response, a little more mpg).
--Window tint (very tastful, clean mod. not too expensive either).
--OEM rear spoiler (again, tasteful and clean).
--Tinted stock taillights (i wanted to acheive that Acura TL type-S look, looks good).
--HID headlights (much better than stock headlights, looks nice too).
--Amber fog lights (looks nice with the HIDs)
--Full audio system (Pioneer deck, fosgate speakers, fosgate P3 sub, kicker mono amp).
--OEM 7th gen special edition wheels (with kumho tires)
--debadge (take off the civic, and lx badging on the decklid)

All of the above is very tasteful in my opinion, and really makes my car stand out from the rest,IMO. I've never seen another Civic that looks like mine, and that's why I like it. It's not fast by any means, but it's unique and it looks nice.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 AM
HCF Member

fix it up and sell it. or keep it as a DD if you can't sell it. Nothing beats good gas mileage especially if you're tavel far for work

Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 AM
HCF Member

OP that alpine unit u posted is gonna be hella bright at night
i have a clarion and i love it (was about $120 and has USB input ect.)

Old 06-10-2010, 01:20 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by hamorhead
OP that alpine unit u posted is gonna be hella bright at night
i have a clarion and i love it (was about $120 and has USB input ect.)
I love the ipod control feature though and being bright isn't too bad. Any youtube vids?

And for that teal color, is this it?

http://www.expresspaint.com/productc...idproduct=2988

Also, about the lighting. I think I'm gonna get just white bulbs and not a HID kit. I'm not sure yet.

Last edited by Nemuri; 06-10-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:09 PM
HCF Member

Oh never mind. The car finally arrived at his place. At first my niece told me it was an LE, so I assumed she meant LX. Now I told her to look at it again and it's an EX. Still was wishing for a coupe.

Quick Reply: Found out what car I'm getting