General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

General Tune Ups / Intake Questions and General Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 04:59 PM
HCF Member
Default General Tune Ups / Intake Questions and General Questions...

I have a 2001 Civic EX Coupe with 110k miles that has a well maintained engine and i wanna keep it that way.. The entire car is stock BTW... Here are my questions.

Should i get the stock NGK Spark Plugs or Premium ones? Will i get more MPG if i get the Premium ones?

How do i find out if the Timing belt was changed without paying anyone? The owner said she did change it recently even after i bought the car so why would she lie to me after i bought the car. Honda Dealer told me it hasn't been changed so i'm concern....

Sometimes on a little slope (really little) if i go down the slope quickly i hear a noise that appears to be in the back, like the springs. Is that the shock absorbers? Are the worn out?

Also the alternator belt makes noises when i turn on the AC and then quiets down after a little bit and starts acting up again and stops and goes again. Could that be a need to adjust the belt or maybe i need to replace it.

My roof has some corrision on under the windshield tape. How much more or less to get a factory or close to factory paint and repair? I live in Miami....

Finally since my car is stock, should i get a V2 Intake to increase my MPG or just leave it with the stock one? I mean it is over $300 after all. is it complicated to take off for when i sell the car, since it might scare buyers. Is it really worth it....

Last edited by WILMER007; 12-24-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by WILMER007
Should i get the stock NGK Spark Plugs?
Yes.

How do i find out if the Timing belt was changed without paying anyone? The owner said she did change it recently even after i bought the car. Honda Dealer told me it hasn't been changed.
Without records, you can really never know for sure. I would get it changed as a precaution. Save the receipt and record the mileage of your car, so the next owner will know or so you will know in the future. Also strongly recommended is the changing of the tensioner and water pump at the same time as the timing belt.

Some times on a little slope (really little) if it go down the slope quickly i hear a noise that appears to be in the back like the springs. Is that the shock absorbers? Are the worn out?
What kind of noise? When's the last time the suspension bushings were greased?

Also the alternator belt makes noises when i turn on the AC and then quiets down after a little bit and starts acting up again and stops and goes again. Could that be a need to adjust the belt or maybe i need to replace it.
Are you sure it's the alternator belt? I would say it's the A/C belt because the former doesn't make sense. The belt probably just needs to be adjusted. If that doesn't fix it, consider the idler pulley bearing as a possibility.

Finally since my car is stock, should i get a V2 Intake to increase my MPG or just leave it with the stock one? I mean it is over $300 after all. is it complicated to take off for when i sell the car, since it might scare buyers. Is it really worth it....
If you want a V2 for a little more power and to help with MPG, get one. It won't help a lot but it helps some. It's simple to install and uninstall. I'm not sure if it's really worth it... I would just buy an AEM Short Ram Intake on eBay for like $100 total. IMO the V2 isn't better enough to be worth $200 more than that.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:28 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction

Without records, you can really never know for sure. I would get it changed as a precaution. Save the receipt and record the mileage of your car, so the next owner will know or so you will know in the future. Also strongly recommended is the changing of the tensioner and water pump at the same time as the timing belt.

How much can i expect to pay for all that more or less? with labor? I had my mechanic that lives a block away do the timing belt on my 94 Accord about 2 months for $120 when that job costs easily over $200. I know i can have him check out if the belt was replaced or not but i don't wanna really bother him, he takes too long on jobs anyways, so unless i have to, i don't wanna bother with him because he takes too long on jobs...

What kind of noise? When's the last time the suspension bushings were greased?

Suspension Brushings being greased? i really don't know when they were last greased if they even were. It might be on the records i have under those "Added Liquids and Top Off things when you take it to a shop..." the noise is like a "Bump" thing, it's really hard to describe here you know...

Are you sure it's the alternator belt? I would say it's the A/C belt because the former doesn't make sense. The belt probably just needs to be adjusted. If that doesn't fix it, consider the idler pulley bearing as a possibility.

Yeah my bad A/C belt...

If you want a V2 for a little more power and to help with MPG, get one. It won't help a lot but it helps some. It's simple to install and uninstall. I'm not sure if it's really worth it... I would just buy an AEM Short Ram Intake on eBay for like $100 total. IMO the V2 isn't better enough to be worth $200 more than that.

What do you think the MPG difference would be between the SRI and V2?

Old 12-24-2008, 10:41 PM

idk on price, i've never had a shop do anything to my car besides alignment, tire mounting and patching, and a brake system inspection

i have no idea about a bump noise. i'm sure someone will be able to help you though

gas mileage won't be all that different. really you won't get that much from either, so if you're just going for MPG i would just replace the stock filter with a K&N OEM replacement filter and call it a day

Old 12-24-2008, 11:46 PM
HCF Member

Sometimes if you get an aftermarket intake it will give you worse gas mileage because of the sound it makes. You will hear the sound and want to go faster so therefore causing worse gas mileage lol. But for $300 i wouldnt do it, since your not looking into any performance. You could always get a cheap ebay intake and then swap out the filter it comes with to an K&N or an AEM one.