General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Is this a good price?

Old 04-12-2006, 04:13 PM
HCF Member
Default Is this a good price?

I found a civic this weekend that I am interested in. its a 1998 sedan lx, auto. its pretty much everything I want in my civic except for the lack of vtec. Its got hail damage on the roof, some on the hood and some on the front fenders. Its worst on the roof. It only has 65K miles on the odometer. I don't want speed (read:auto with no vtec) I just want a comfy daily driver that I can rely on that gets good mpg. they want $8000. is this a good price? if not, what should I offer? I need to convince my parents, but this seems like a really great deal. what do you guys think?

BTW- what problems should I look for on this car? what problems can I expect in the future? Ive heard the tranny may go out between 100-120K, is that true?

Im just going to reiterate that I dont want speed from this car. I'll probably throw on an intake and cat back. If i really get into it i may do a mini-me and a t/b.... but thats probably it. I plan to spend most of my money on makin it look nice. Sorry, its just the way I am.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide me with.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Stinky Administrator
Default RE: Is this a good price?

i don't know it seems high with hail damage i found a 98 ex coupe in knoxville for$ 5995. with 98.000 miles you might want to look around but i would see if they would come way down on price if you like it and it drives good

Old 04-12-2006, 09:35 PM

go to kbb.com i went on there and for my zip and fair condition its worth 5,480...way to overpriced plus if u lookin to get more cosmetic stuff for it damage on the roof costs alot to get repaired

Old 04-12-2006, 09:44 PM

Way over priced. I bought my 98 dx 3 years ago for 6 grand.

www.autotrader.com

Old 04-12-2006, 10:16 PM

i just bought mine a month ago EX, excellent shape, power everything and 110,000 for a 9,400$, plus i got fom the honda dealership for a extra 2$ a month a 2 year or 24,000 mile warrenty on engine and drive train.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:20 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Honda_man

BTW- what problems should I look for on this car? what problems can I expect in the future? Ive heard the tranny may go out between 100-120K, is that true?

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide me with.
I know this question is probably asked alot, but just bare with me. Im tryin to convince my parents on this one. (If they come down on the price some). Did I mention it comes with a warranty? Im not sure what kind, as I didnt take the time to read it.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:38 PM
HCF Member

bad news- the car was sold this past weekend, and NOT to me. Oh well, theres a million fish in the sea... [:@]

Old 04-18-2006, 02:19 PM

Good that was too much for that car anyway. When you are looking at a car go to kbb.com and nada.com. That will give you an idea of what to pay. I wouldn't pay any more than what kbb says for the car being in good shape. I would never consider buying a car from someone asuming it is in perfect shape. You don't really know how they took care of it. $8000 was ATLEAST 1500 TOO much.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:20 PM
HCF Member

I agree $8000 will get you a swapped and boosted coupe

Old 04-18-2006, 05:38 PM

In response to all the kbb gobbeldygoop, the market sets prices, not kbb.com. Often times Civics will sell for more than what kbb lists, because the market it still willing to pay that for them.

And just to add a note about my purchase, dealerships are usually a rip. It's ok to visit them, but don't limit yourself to only buying from and only trading to a dealership like the majority of the market. Private seller to private seller is the way to do it anymore. Usually the seller can get more than the dealer will offer them for it, and the buyer will pay less than the dealership will sell it for. The dealers around my area had similar Civics to mine at the time of my purchase, and wanted 9k+ for them. I hopped on autotrader.com and in no time at all found a guy in town wanting 6.5k for his, and I got em down to 6.

Be above the average consumer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this a good price?