General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

GTI vs SI vs Cobalt vs Scion

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Default RE: GTI vs SI vs Cobalt vs Scion

But then again, I'm getting ready to buy a WRX STi...black, thank you, and spread that radar absorbent jelly on the front end....

Old 07-23-2006, 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL:ummmmmm......
there are some dealers that sell at invoice. and the part about being overhyped, i mean really.
Ive never actually seen one at the dealer but they are starting to show up more and more around town. I live in Socal so there is alot of competion in getting one out here. I was told I would have to wait a month till they got 1 in and usually its what you see is what you get. Im a big Civ fan but damn get a grip Honda its only a car not a ride on the first commuter space flight. Insurance is also a factor too. I guess Ill wait it out and see what happens. And please dont tell me about reliability My Civic is in the shop getting the transmission bearings replaced with only 34k miles on it. And I keep reading about suspension problems with the new SI. Every car has its problems and this 8 gen civic is no exception. Once I drive an 8th gen SI for myself then Ill compare but honestly the rsx type s, Im mean Civic is overated at this point. Ill swap my POS with a K and save myself 12 grand at this point.

THE main reason I would consider the VW is the low end torque and the DSG transmission. This would come in handy with the kind of driving I do, mostly heavy traffic situations trying to take advantage of all the open holes is a must. Im tired of winding my engine to 6200 rpms to get any power, that does me no good when a semi or suv is on my *** as I change lanes. Hi revs are nice but not in these situations, maybe on the track!

Old 07-23-2006, 01:54 PM

i'm not arguing with you and i understand your point. i too live in socal and i understand that its hard to get the si. and yes i have read reports about the new si and its problems but i have yet to experience them. no car is perfect, but if you compare the reliability of civics to that of other cars there is a big difference. and yes i am paying a little more insurance but thats expected. oh and the difference between the civic and the rsx-s is that you get pretty much the same car for a cheaper price. (unless you get shafted by the dealership)

Old 07-23-2006, 02:12 PM

buy a VW...just dont be shocked when something like this happens to it...that was my friends gli but it randomly caught on fire while driving on the highway due to electrical problems. my other friend has a gti and im surprised the same hasnt happened to him, hes had some major electrical problems as well, once his freakin brakes stoped working for cryin out loud...

[IMG]local://upfiles/4748/6BB1D9C70D584BE792A8B52F7F5A1580.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-23-2006, 03:52 PM

I would get the gti. Has lots of torque.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Cam
HCF Member

Vw's - They're pretty much as reliable as any Jap machine these days. I drove a 'Golf' (the name for your 'rabbit' everywhere else in the world) for four years and never had a problem. My mums had a gold 2.0 tdi for a few years now and its never been anything other than great. Plus the turbo diesels these days really really shift! The gti would get my money I have to say, proper quick, and it looks stunning. I ove the idea of the new 'GT' model they've brought out. The 1.4 with a turbo AND and supercharger. 170bhp, 0'60 7.5secs, 40mpg. Gotta love that economy! I loved the 'not much torque until the vtec kicks in' quote. At which point there's still no torque. Still love my hondas, but the guys got a point.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:34 PM

^^^^^^ Yea Id agree my first "new" ride I had was a 90 golf that I had for like 8 years only left me stranded once because of a bad relay. I remember my friend got rear ended and the car sustained only minor scratches, while the other car looked like it hit a wall.

hey uuuuuuuuuuum nice color by the way on the SI thats def my favorite. and congrats on getting one.