General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

HB swap back to factory questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Default HB swap back to factory questions

I wanted to do an engine swap on civic hb in reverse....put the original factory motor in it instead of the b series that I seem to find all the time. Pretty strange, huh! I wanted a more fuel efficient car but to find the factory built cars is quite difficult, so I thought it would be easier to purchase the motor people are taking out and replace it with the one they are putting in.
I can buy the DX HB model all day long in good condition, but they often have an engine swap or the orginal b7 engine that is less fuel efficient than its z1 counterpart. The weight differences of the dx models and the vx models is less than 150 pounds, so what is the big deal with getting the lighter car for only 150 pounds??
So here comes my main question. I can find the d15z1 series motors that came with the VX HB, will that motor fit in any of the DX models of the same year, 92-95? If so, what about the transmission? Alot of these swaps may not have the factory transmission, so first, would that tranny fit the z1 engine and second, will it detract greatly from my fuel economy or should I try to find the factory tranny?
My thoughts are that is much easier to find a dx car in good shape and swap the engine for a z1 than it is to find an hx hb with the factory goods. Also, my thoughts are that the b series engine that would be in some of these cars may atleast have equal value to the labor involved in the swap itself. Is it reasonable to assume that I could find someone to do the swap for me (not very mechanically inclined in regards to engine swaps, you got cancer, fine I can handle that, you got car trouble, let me tell a good mechanic!) and offer the non factory motor as payment or atleast partial payment.
Do you think this a reasonable thought: Get a DX HB, put a Z1 motor in it (should it fit) dont worry about the weight difference because it is minimal, and offer the swapped engine as some sort of payment, either full or partial? I appreciate any advice or suggestions on this, it seems as though you have given some good advice to numerous people on the forum.
Thanks, Eric

Old 07-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Default RE: HB swap back to factory questions

you might be able to make money off that deal. sell the b-series engine after you swap it and you'lll probably make money from swapping it back to the z1.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:48 PM

anyway, yes the D15Z1 will fit. No, you cannot use the tranny from the B-series.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:50 PM

You can use the tranny from any D-series. The VX and CX trannys will be best for gas mileage, but the DX is also geared for pretty good gas mileage.