General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Headlights 01-03

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 01:00 PM
HCF Member
Question Headlights 01-03

I want to replace my stock headlights. I do A LOT of driving at night and these headlights seem pretty dim despite buying Silverstar Ultras. I mean I don't want to just replace the bulb-I want to replace the whole shabang. I wanted to get opinions on what I should put in... I want it to have better functionality as well as look sharp, not douchey.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

hmm, you shouldn't be getting less visibility with your silverstars. I'm assuming you have haze all over your headlights? If that is the case, there are many ways to remove the haze to make your headlights look brand new again.

Name:  IMG_3815.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  35.1 KB

Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 PM
HCF Member

like the above post said clean up the haze if your headlights are hazed. That effects the light output significantly. if your headlights are clean your not going to do any better getting new headlight assembly. You can try adding a plug and ply HID kit. One of the best light output but it will be blinding because of the scattered light. You can lower the headlight a little to minimize the scatter so it doesnt blind oncoming traffic

One of the best output would be doing a projector headlights conversion. A little pricey but many say its worth it. google it if you don't know what i'm talking about

Old 03-13-2011, 07:33 PM
HCF Member

Actually my lights have NO fog on them. The projector lights were the ones I was looking at but I was wondering if you had any advice on what brand are best and where to get them. I don't want to end up with some cheap lights that barely work.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:42 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by got2run5
Actually my lights have NO fog on them. The projector lights were the ones I was looking at but I was wondering if you had any advice on what brand are best and where to get them. I don't want to end up with some cheap lights that barely work.
Projector headlights that are quality go for A LOT. Over $300, unless you get those cheap ones off ebay. Your best bet is to retrofit your stock headlights. Cost about $200 and you can use HID kits without getting trolled on for it. But your headlights shouldn't be affecting your output. Maybe it's just the bulb or just your car's electrical system.

As for HIDs, if you want a simple PnP then get those cheap ones off ebay ($32). they shine way brighter than your halogen bulbs, but reflect light which blinds oncoming traffic.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 PM
HCF Member

The problem isn't the bulbs... I had just normal bulbs in when I bought the car (used) and I wanted it brighter because I work until like 11 pm. Plus I'm a college student and sometimes drive home 2 hours on weekends in the dark. I got the Silverstar Ultras but they didn't seem to help very much. They didn't hurt but they didn't help.

So, what would you recommend:

1.) HID conversion-I know for sure I'd see a difference but I've also heard that HIDs with your normal reflector headlights just blind people so people would always flash me for having high beams on.

2.) Projector lights-I know they're around $300 but if they look good and improve my visibility a lot they could be worth it. I'm just worried they won't increase my visibility very much.

3.) Projector AND HID: From what I understand HID is a type of bulb and projector is a way to display the light. So it would be possible to do both right? And if I did this, b/c the light is more concentrated the HID wouldn't blind people right? Where would you recommend buying a conversion kit from and the projector lights? I don't like ebay too much...

Thanks a lot for all the help! I don't have a lot of cash to put in my car but I want to keep it looking nice stock and I'm willing to spend a bit to be able to see the road in nasty conditions better. With any of these changes are cops more likely to pull you over? And you mentioned the electrical system... what exactly could be the problem there? Bad battery or car computer problem?

Last edited by got2run5; 03-13-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:31 PM
HCF Member

Ahhh I see your case got2run5. I'm guessing since you want more light output, go with the projector/HID road.

Ebay can be your best friend at times too. haha. You can get some $100-$200 projector headlights (make sure they are compatible with HIDs.. because some of the headlights don't fit the HID bulb). You're most likely only going to find angel eyes ones where you will need to do some extra wiring for the halos but you can skip that, it's not necessary. These projectors may create a bit of glare since some are not clear lens projectors but it is way better than stock housings and creates some sort of cutoff.

Then buy yourself some $30 HID kit off ebay and install that into the new projectors. for best visibility get 4300-6000k temperature for best visibility.

that is the route I'd probably go in your situation since I'm a broke college kid too. lol. or you can just buy a HID kit, put em in, angle them down, and hope for the best to not get pulled over. haha. and i don't know anything about the electrical system. I just know it'll cost more to get that fixed than get some new pair of headlights. :P

Old 03-13-2011, 10:39 PM
HCF Member

Thanks a lot... huge help. Maybe I'll look into ebay... I just don't want to get screwed.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:00 AM
HCF Member

Oh man don't worry. I've ordered from there lots of times. Just use paypal and always check the feedback rating for the seller. I usually only order from sellers over like 1000 stars or whatever with 95%+ feedback.