General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Help! Hid madness

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:36 PM
HCF Member
Default Help! Hid madness

So i bought new projector/halo lens from ebay with a hid conversion kit. Now im pretty sure these projectors are made for hid because they have that nice straight line effect when the bulbs are on. Here comes my problem. One side blows every bulb i plug in. AS well as the 10 amp fuse. Now the other side works just fine. Any one else had this problem? They come with the Hid controllers, do you think its the controller? I would try and plug my one good bulb in it but i cant really get by with no low beams.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:43 PM
HCF Member

They might not be grounded properly or have a clean power source (dirty connection) .. or that you have your DLR fuse still in or you're touching the bulbs? Also when you say HID controllers I'm assuming you mean the Ballast?

Touching the bulbs will put your body oils on the bulb and cause them to heat up and blow the bulbs.

"Will DRL (daytime running lights) or Auto Switch On affect the HID kit?
For vehicles with DRL that use the same bulb for both DRL and low beam you will need to deactivate your DRL. DRL operate on reduced wattage or fluctuating current levels. This will cause the HID system to flicker and burn out prematurely. Please ensure that your OEM headlight harness is providing a constant 12 volts to ensure that no damage will be caused to the HID system.

The Auto Switch On will not affect the HID conversion kit or bulbs. The lights will simply turn on just like your factory halogen bulbs turned on before."

http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html#Honda

"1997 and later Honda/Acura. To disable the highbeam DRL for all Hondas/Acuras 1997 model year or later, just look for the DRL fuse in the fuse box under the dash. It should be a 7.5A fuse. There is another one that is 10A, but it doesn't need to be removed. This worked for both my 1997 Honda CRV Canadian version and 2004 Acura RSX "

Last edited by xsteinbachx; 12-21-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:49 PM
HCF Member

Yeah meant ballast, couldnt remember what it was called. DRL fuse? can u explain that?
I plugged a extra bulb in to watch what it did, it turned on as to start up..flickered like 4 times and then blew. But wouldnt that affect both sides? And as far as touching the bulb..nope thats definetly not that case.
as far as the DRL, i dont have day time running lights so safe to assume there is no DRL fuse.

Last edited by jousai7; 12-21-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

What year exactly is your car?

Try not replacing the 10amp fuse. and try using the bulb again.

"Troubleshooting

Here are the most popular issues that our customers have with their HID conversion kit installation.

Flickering - If your headlights strobe, flicker or one side fails to ignite, you most likely have a ground or power issue that is preventing your ballasts from properly firing up. To fix this issue, connect the power and ground on your wire harness to the battery. If you do not have a wire harness, you can purchase one here.

Bulb fails to light up - If your HID bulb fails to light up, make sure your ballast plug is clipping over the triangular nub on the ballast. Also, make sure your wire harness has both the ground and power connected to the battery. If everything is connected properly, check your OEM headlight plug for damage. Using 80w or 100w bulbs for extended periods of time can melt the OEM headlight plug due to extremely high temperatures. Replace the OEM headlight plug (sometimes called a 'pigtail') and you should be fine.

Flickering while driving - If your headlights are flickering when you hit bumps in the road, most likely you have a faulty fuse. Just replace the fuse and you should be fine."

Last edited by xsteinbachx; 12-21-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:55 PM
HCF Member

99 honda civic CX HB. i only have one hid bulb left. and im not removing it from the other headlight just to blow it and be s.o.l.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:03 PM
HCF Member

Well unless you try and trouble shoot what I've told you above you're going to be S.O.L

I myself have 2000 Honda civic.. I had DLR I'm sure you do too...

Last edited by xsteinbachx; 12-21-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:11 PM
HCF Member

Ill go back to the schematic and find the DRL fuse and pull it. I figured the CX wouldnt have DRL, hell it was a manual w/o a tach, no power windows/doors nothing. But i fixed it. I cant believe i did this... but the ballast plug was fits both ways...meaning i had swapped the + and - side, and it even clips into place. I realized it real quick when i went to meter it to check my voltage. Thanks for the help, and it good to know about the DRL, that should prevent any future issues.

Last edited by jousai7; 12-21-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:14 PM
HCF Member

I hope it all works out and sorry if I sounded rude. I'd love to see some pictures of your projectors and cut off lines.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:18 PM
HCF Member

Rude, naw i just got the impression you figured i was lazy and wanted you to fix it for me. lol no hard feelings, ive been in those conversations before. But if you wait a couple minutes i will have some pics posted. No lines yet, still need to adjust them.

Last edited by jousai7; 12-21-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:24 PM
HCF Member

did this work? trying to post pics.

Attached Thumbnails Help! Hid madness-hid-halo.jpg   Help! Hid madness-halo.jpg  

Last edited by jousai7; 12-21-2008 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Help! Hid madness