General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How big is my gas tank? Gas problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Default How big is my gas tank? Gas problems.

I have a 94 ex coupe. I have only topped it off once and it smelt like gas. I took out the back seat to put in a fuel cut off switch and when I filled it the next time gas just started pouring in the back. I had my back seat cushin out and it was an inch thick in gas. Anyone know why this happens or a way it I can fix it?

Edit- I also put it 13.3 gallons

Old 10-28-2007, 09:19 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: How big is my gas tank? Gas problems.

Can't help you on the switch issue, but my '95 DX says it takes 10.9 gallons. I don't know if the EXs held more, or how much capacity there is in the lines and such, but 13.3 seems like way too much.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:21 PM
HCF Member

[quote]Edit- I also put it 13.3 gallons

Yeah that is too much fuel for you car. Not even my 2000 Civic Si holds that kind of fuel.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well you sure it was fuel and not water? did you reinstal the fuel pump cover?
but one thing with filling up the tank dont fit every drop in the gas tank that you can. i go about 3 clicks on the pump and no more!!!!!
you probably overfilled it and gas was coming out a vent, or maybe someone put in two long of screws and pierced the gas tank.. ive heard of that happening ALOT!

Old 10-28-2007, 04:10 PM

EX's are 10 gallon tanks. u somehow overfilled the tank, dont really know how or why 3 gallons didnt pour out the filler hole when filling ur tank tho..

Old 10-28-2007, 05:11 PM

I dont think its a leak in the gas tank because about two weeks ago I checked under the car to look for gas stains and I didnt see any. I just checked now and there was a huge wet stain on the gas tank. Is whatever that tells the gas pump the tank is full broken?How does that work?

On the good side my fuel cutoff switch is hidden muy bueno

Old 11-06-2007, 05:25 AM

Well I found the promblem. After droping the gas tank You can see a screw sized hole on the very top, it only spills if you fill it to the limit. What a joke

Old 11-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well for a small hole then i would just buy a STAINLESS STEEL FINE THREAD selftaping screw just about the same size as the hole.... then just SLOWLY screw it into the hole by hand. keep it slow so it doesnt spark and some type of gasket or silicone around the screw... that will keep it sealed up good and cheap! cause NO ONE LIKES a constant smell of gas, not to mention your gas evaporating.... and water and dirt able to get into the tank....

someone just tried instaling a stereo or some lights or something in thier and used a screw that was to long that pierced the gas tank.... VERY COMMON ACTUALY.....
either quick and easy fix or try to find a junk yard gas tank for more money....

just puting a fine thread screw into the gas tank where the hole is is the cheapest way to fix it and keep it from leaking or geting other debri into the gas tank...

Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

My '99 EX Sedan is like 11.8 gallons.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Gas should not come out inside the car even if there are holes in the top of the gas tank (which, of course, is very bad in it's own right). Is your access cover under the back seat still in place?

Quick Reply: How big is my gas tank? Gas problems.