General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

how did you start learning about cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Eun
Default how did you start learning about cars?

I have come in to senses, that, I have very little knowledge about cars.
How did you guys get to know all these things about cars? classes? internet?
cause I really would like to learn about cars, and start doing stuff on my civic ya know?
I have an auto technology class in my school (high school), the teacher's nice and all that but then we never learn anything. We have modules, and since I was a junior (the only, actually), so I got to choose the module last. I got brake components and functions, which I was NOT interested in. But I still did it anyways...
and also question, how much did you spend on your car? Not the car itself but for parts and all that.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:52 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: how did you start learning about cars?

I'm not saying I know a whole lot about cars now but before stumbled onto this forum [on accident, I was just searching around for stuff about my civic] I didn't know jack about cars. So this forum pretty much taught me everything aside for some research I did on turbocharging and nitrous. Um, a very rough guess would be that I have about 3k in my car with repairs and stuff since I bought it.

Ok sarcasim time, I can't help myself; brake components and functions... lets see, functions. It stops the car. Do I get an A?

Old 01-01-2007, 08:55 PM
HCF Member

I started off by reading HCF and the net. Then starting doing my own matnace like oil changes, rotate tires, filters, fluids, ect, and got a haynes repaire manual which helped out alot with learning. But pretty much reading.
www.howstuffworks.com is a REALLY good site on learning how all car stuff works. I used to spend hours on there.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Eun

haha I see, for brake components and function we just learn about master cylinders, uhm let's see, bearings, how to check for leaks and all that weird junks...lol. so HCF is what really taught people huh? I guess I stumbled into this forum right haha
hey mill$civic, you have a nice car, how much did you spend on your car?

Old 01-01-2007, 09:20 PM
HCF Member

well i got into cars with 2 of my friends, one with a lancer and the other one with an mr2, so i decided to get myself a civic and learn, i joined the hondatech forum and didnt learn much cause theyu bashed me for being a newb and wanting a body kit so i found this forum, ive learned a great deal although its been a short amount of time on this forum.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:22 PM
HCF Member

Two years of auto shop in high school.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:24 PM
HCF Member

i wish i would get auto shop in my school, they dont offer anything, where do u live agentofdarkness?

Old 01-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

best thing i could say is like start small like fix your car with a tune up, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. then do like an intake maybe some headers and an exhaust, maybe some rims and then just start reading up on step by step picture detailed pics on how to do things

Old 01-01-2007, 09:59 PM
HCF Member

my dad's a retired mechanic with over 50 years of experience.

he wanted to learn about cars when i was young, but i was more interested in bikes.

then i got a honda civic out of college.

the car was so simple, i had no choice but to learn how cars worked. lol.

but don't let that fool you. a DOHC interference engine on the blink will ruin your day pretty fast if the timing belt snaps...

Old 01-01-2007, 11:21 PM
HCF Member

I started long before the Internet (and personal computers for that matter), so I read every book on the subject I could reach, and helped my dad to service his car. Then I made masters in engines design and was doingdesign and researchfor a living for 7 years or so... And I always serviced my cars and bikes myself...

Quick Reply: how did you start learning about cars?