General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

how did you start learning about cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 11:36 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: how did you start learning about cars?

my dad used to drag race as a hobby while i was growing up, so being around cars in peices was part of me growing up. i started off with go karts then my dad gave me my first car to tinker with(tercel wagon). we then sold that car and bought my first street driven car( datsun 510). we got this one with a bad motor and my toying with cars began. i took auto tech through all 4 years of high school as well as auto body and electronics. i then graduated and enrolled into UTI's auto diesel program on the phoenix campus. ive been messing with all sorts of makes of cars since i was 12, and ive been working on combustion engines since i was 8 during my go kart years. i love working on engines but i prefer to work with the electrical portions of a vehicle.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:10 PM

Yeah, like that past couple, started changing oil, plugs, wires, brakes, small stuff with dad around 12 or 13

Old 01-02-2007, 08:24 PM
HCF Member

Cars in general I learned by watching and helping out people who knew what they were doing. Pertaining to hondas I learned past the basics or general maint here

Old 01-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Eun

haha thanks for all the tips guys

Old 01-02-2007, 09:09 PM
HCF Member

All from HCF.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:09 PM
HCF Member

i always was around helping my dad when he would do stuff to his vehicles and he tought me alot. but as far as anything else, reading magazines, forums on the net, and when i got my car, it has basically been hands on since then.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Cat Fuсker

I just took my old dodge caravan apart and than somehow had to put it together...

Old 01-02-2007, 09:42 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ic892003

i wish i would get auto shop in my school, they dont offer anything, where do u live agentofdarkness?
I'm in Chicago. I seriously think my auto shop class is one of the best in the city. I went to state competition for auto shop my senior year. I scored 3rd on the placement test and was ranked 12th in the competition. If last year had been my 2nd tim at competition i am fairly confident that i would have ended up in the top 5.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:49 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

I was never much for that fancy book learnin, so I learned by doing. Turn wrenches, bust some knuckles, and make a few cars faster thanthey werebefore, and you're good to go.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:45 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: abe_byun

haha I see, for brake components and function we just learn about master cylinders, uhm let's see, bearings, how to check for leaks and all that weird junks...lol. so HCF is what really taught people huh? I guess I stumbled into this forum right haha
hey mill$civic, you have a nice car, how much did you spend on your car?
Its hard to say, Iv never really priced it out before..but I would say about $2000 or less. I do everything myself so it saves alot of money.

Quick Reply: how did you start learning about cars?