General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How much should it cost for a shop to tune my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

yeah i checked the code three times, and yeah i am def gonna give the prev. owner another call

Old 01-21-2009, 05:46 PM

yea make him explain to you why the CEL cannot be fixed

Old 01-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
yea make him explain to you why the CEL cannot be fixed
The sale is complete, right? So the previous owner is not obligated to help at all. He's now helping out of pure kindness. Be nice as possible to him in hopes of getting some cooperation.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:59 PM
HCF Member

Yeah the sale is complete but this car is like a child to this guy he wouldn't sell it to me until he was sure i wouldn't abuse he literally sold it to a kid and then took it back before the kid payed for it cause he thought he was just gonna abuse it. He wants me to send him pics whenever i do stuff so he can see it. He had it since it was basically new and like I said before hes shippin me boxes of stuff he has for it and he doesn't want me to pay a thing for it. So I'm pretty sure he will help me out if he can.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

Sounds like a cool guy, Wish all the cars i bought were off people like that. haha. I'd see what that shop says about the light but I do see they're point on not tuning it with a CEL on. If something is wrong it needs to be fixed before a proper tune. Hopefully well get this thing worked out. The light was on when you got the car right?

Old 01-22-2009, 04:02 AM
HCF Member

it was on when i got it because when i was buying it he said something like the engine light will stay on but don't worry about it there isn't anything wrong it's just because it's a different engine. So hopefully when I call him I can get him to go into more detail

Old 01-22-2009, 05:13 AM
HCF Member

Yea hopefully it's some weird compatability issue with the new motor, and there is not anything wrong with the car. If it comes down to it you could just unplug the light from the cluster and have them tune it regardless. I know it's not the best thing to do but if you have to.... I know if it were my car I'd want to find out was the issue was first. Unpluging the light would be a LAST resort for me.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:32 AM
HCF Member

yeah i was thinkin the same thing but wouldn't it be kinda obvious because doesn't it do a check when the car turns on like it blinks once to show you its working. I know thats how the other cars I have had worked

Old 01-22-2009, 05:34 AM
HCF Member

Yea it does. When you turn the key on it does a bulb check. But they may not notice it...... Yea that was a bad idea. haha

Old 01-22-2009, 06:01 AM
HCF Member

the other thing i was wondering is if there is any way to possibly fool the ecu to make it think that the injectors are fine,or that the sensor is reading correctly, i guess im getting a little ahead of myself, but it seems like if it is reading that because it doesn't have that sensor i could get the sensor and find a way to make it read that the injectors are fine. I have a feeling that it is something like that becauae there are quite a few plugs that aren't plugged in, i know some are for cruise control, a/c, and srs but i am not sure about some of the other ones

Quick Reply: How much should it cost for a shop to tune my engine?