General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How to test oil pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:26 PM
HCF Member
Default How to test oil pressure sensor

i just got the oil pressure installed, the car used to have a gauge, the connector had just been sitting there so i want to test that it is workin correctly ie. the light on the dash will come on when it should. I don't know how the sensor works so i don't know how to go about testing it. If someone has a pinout for a 93 coupe gauge cluster i could just test continuity. But it seems like by either applying voltage or grounding the wire coming off the sensor i could test it pretty easily. If anybody has any idea how i could do that i would appreciate it.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member

So now you have the stock setup with a light instead of a gauge? I don't think any Civics had oil pressure gauges stock.

When you turn the key on but don't start the engine, the oil light should come on and stay on. It should go out within a couple of seconds after starting the engine.

The switch grounds the wire when the oil pressure is low. This completes the circuit so the light comes on. So wire grounded = light on, wire not grounded = light off.