General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

HX vs. EX

Old 05-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Default HX vs. EX

OK, so I have a 97 HX and my buddy has a 2000 EX, I followed the link in one of the sticky's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine#D16), and see that the EX has the same displacement,same bore and stroke,and same head as the HX, but the EX has a slightly higher compression and a few more pony's. I realize I have the economy version, but what makes it so? also is it just as easyto mod (ie.. CAI, exhaust ect..)?
Thanks

Old 05-03-2007, 07:16 AM
Default RE: HX vs. EX

The HX and EX have different cams

In the EX, the VTEC portion of the cam activates both the exhaust and intake valves.

In the HX, the VTEC portion of the cam activates only the exhaust valves, hence the VTEC-E moniker

They also feature different transmissions, with the 5 speed HX having a longer gearing than the EX to aid in fuel economy.

The HX is just as easy to modify with bolt ons as any of the DX/LX variants (which isn't hard). The EX is the easiest to modify.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:40 AM

Thanks cderalow, good info. Would it be benificial to find an EX head in a junkyard and swap over?What else would I need and is there a better after market cam I can throw in?

Old 05-03-2007, 11:45 AM
gwl
HCF Member

I have a 97 HX, the HXuses an EGR valve. I'm pretty sure that the EX, LX, and DX does not use one, so I would think the intake would be different. I would leave your motor alone until you have some major problems. I still have my original motor with 270,000 miles on it when it goes I probably swap in non HX motor. The HX does give me some great MPG (around 38 combined driving) but specific parts for the HX are costly. This just my commuter car, I bought it new when I had my 4X4. The truck was drinking too much gas. The Civic still saves me a bunch money especially when gas around here is running around 3.30 a gallon.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:07 AM

Yea, my HX is my commuter car, I also have a lifted jeep that sucks down too much gas to use to go to work (35 miles away). I still want to make the civic a little more fun, I want to start with CAI, a mild sounding exaust, and a short shifter.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:10 AM

i forget if the HX uses a similar exhaust setup to the DX/LX models, or if it's the same as the EX models.

Easiest way to tell, is if you have a catalytic converter under the car.

if you don't, and it's only 2 pieces of pipe from the header back, it's a DX/LX setup, which means any catback system you buy, will be short by about 16". This can typically be solved by buying a "test pipe" from some place or another and using it in conjunction with the new exhaust.

Or wait until next week, when I post a DIY for converting the DX/LX style exhaust to the EX system

Old 05-04-2007, 05:21 PM

I just looked, I do have a cat., I guess that will make it a little easier.

Search this Thread