General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Leaking trunk... not like the others

Old 03-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Default Leaking trunk... not like the others

Okay, so I know there is a lot of leaky/leaking trunk threads but mine is different. Starting off I have a 1994 Honda DX it is of course a 4 door and there is water in the trunk. It is not coming from the liner or the rear light themselves. I am not super familiar with honda's but the leak is coming from the rear light brackets... I will post pictures shortly when I find out where my camera is. It is quite a bit of water and I live in Oregon so we get quite a bit of rain. It is driving me nuts because I can't figure it out.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:26 PM

Pull out everything in the trunk and soak up any water currently in there, fold down back seats. Sit in the vehicle and watch as someone sprays the back end down with a hose. You should be able to locate the leak eventually I would assume.

I did this with my brother 98 LX sedan and found that the water was coming in from where the rear windshield seal meets the roof of the vehicle.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 AM

does it have some kind of rear light gasket?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:53 PM

I know where the leak is coming from I just have no clue how or why. Sorry the weather finally good enough so that I can take some picture and post them

Alex yes it does but it is not coming from the light gasket not that I can tell.

This is a link to the album that has the pictures of the leak the white lines are where the water is flowing the next is a picture of the location it is the corner near the rear tailight but is not the rear taillight itself. It is the bracket. The third picture you can see a little pool of water up there. Last picture is the smae thing but the other side.

This is a slow leak if I hose the back end down it takes a little bit of time before the water starts leaking in.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Old 04-02-2011, 05:20 AM

If there is a seal around the light assembly then I would check that first. If not, remove the light assembly and try some silicone sealer or runbberized undercoating. You can get Rustoleum rubberized undercoating at WalMart.

Last edited by KB09CIVIC; 04-02-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by KB09CIVIC
If there is a seal around the light assembly then I would check that first. If not, remove the light assembly and try some silicone sealer or runbberized undercoating. You can get Rustoleum rubberized undercoating at WalMart.
I have tried that one too. I took the light assembly out and used the the silicon sealant around the corner of the light housing and it still leaks

Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 AM

So it is leaking around that pinch weld where the white is? Have you tried putting silicone sealant over that? Excuse me if you had mentioned that previously.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
So it is leaking around that pinch weld where the white is? Have you tried putting silicone sealant over that? Excuse me if you had mentioned that previously.
Yes, I have and no luck with that either. It still seems to seep through at the same rate. I actually just tried it. I was hesitant to try it because if it didn't work I would have to rip it all up and figured it would be a pain since there is not a lot of room to work with.