General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Looking for simple DIY's

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:45 AM
HCF Member
Default Looking for simple DIY's

Posted in New Member Introductions by mistake, made new thread here

Whats up guys. New member to the forum and I got a 2000 DX coupe that I'm always lookin to work on. I was just wonderin if any of you guys had any suggestions for some cheap easy DIY's; right now I don't have money to do anything crazy to the car but enjoy spending time doing little things to it. So far I have put in an AEM SRI, B&M short shifter, front and rear shock tower bars, a tachometer, and I cleaned and painted the valve cover. Most of the ideas I got from lookin around the forum before joining (and yes I have already searched the forum inlcuding DIY section so don't yell at me to learn to use the search function lol). I just want the opinions of some ppl who have done the mods themselves and could give me a few good ones, performance or cosmetic; performance is preferred but I realize there arent many cheap/easy performance mods.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by C-lo; 08-02-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Super Cereal Admin

welcome to the forums!

I'd say next up you'll want to try installing an aftermarket header (exhaust manifold). It's a good bit more challenging than an intake install, but mostly only due to rusted/siezed bolts. After that, I'd say get a cat-back exhaust and install it.

Also, springs are always fun to install, not to mention the enhanced handling you'll get.

As far as cosmetics, I'd say maybe a lip kit; they aren't hard to install yourself.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:25 AM
HCF Member

He's looking for really cheap though. He doesn't have much money

Old 08-02-2008, 12:25 PM
HCF Member

He's looking for really cheap though. He doesn't have much money
Haha true that. Unfortunately not a lot of cash flow at the moment cuz a lot of my spare money is being put aside for this year's college tuition. Looking for DIY's that preferably cost 100 and less. So I can't do a whole suspension job or catback yet

I'd say next up you'll want to try installing an aftermarket header (exhaust manifold)
Isn't it hard/expensive to find headers for a 6th gen DX without getting rid of the cat?

Old 08-02-2008, 12:39 PM
HCF Member

You could find a lip for under 100. You could also tint your taillights. Customise your grill.(thats what i'm doing today)

Old 08-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Super Cereal Admin

sorry, didn't see the cheap part. I'd say get a front lip and grille (or a front lip and eyebrows) then.

Also, for the exhaust, your best bet (when you eventually do have money) is to get a header for an ex, an ex cat, and an ex cat-back. Then, you'll have a full free-flowing exhaust and still be perfectly street legal (unless you're in one of those areas with laws against mods).

Last edited by reaper2022; 08-02-2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: ex exhaust conversion
Old 08-02-2008, 02:28 PM
HCF Member

Definitely considerin a grille and/or lip. Will the generic ebay stuff work for something simple like a grille/lip or are there brands that have better fitment, durability, etc.?

And as to converting to EX exhaust system when I have money: do you personally know anyone who has done it and how much it costs? Also is it all bolt-on or would it involve welding and bending piping? Bolt-on's are not a problem but if it involves welding I would have to pay some extra for labor from a shop.

Keep all the other suggestions comin too! thanks reaper2022 and shatowncivic for the feedback so far

Old 08-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Super Cereal Admin

you can go with ebay on the lip and grille, I know a lot of members here have done it and are happy with the results. Also, check out HMotorSports... I can say from experience that their stuff is pretty good.

And for the exhaust, I don't know anybody personally. From what I've heard, everything fits just fine (no bending the pipes or anything). And cost really depends on what brands you go with.

I'd say in the $500-$700 category, but I honestly don't really know what cats go for these days. For a header, you're looking at $150-$300 for a good one (Megan Racing and Hedman make good quality/low cost stuff, DC Sports makes 50-state legal* stuff at twice the price). For the exhaust, I'd guess anywhere from $300 to $500, but it all depends on brand and style. And for the cat, I'd think something like $100.

*Hedman's Chikara header is also smog-legal for cali. The only downside to the Chikara header is that it has a painted black finish, which burns off and looks rusty after an hour of driving. If you can deal with a header that isn't exactly the prettiest thing ever, then the Chikara header is a good choice.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

C-lo i would suggest making your own grill. It will be way cheaper than buying one and having to pay for shipping.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:03 PM
HCF Member

Quick Reply: Looking for simple DIY's