General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Maintenance on aftermarket items

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Default Maintenance on aftermarket items

Good day,

When I purchased my 04 honda civic SI, it came with some aftermarket items, namely an exhaust system and cold air intake. I am not the most mechanically inclined person, but I am just wondering if there are any considerations that need to be taken for these items for caring purposes.

With the exhaust, I have a large diameter exhaust tip, makes it sounds louder and what not and I just remember in my Geo I would have to replace my muffler about every 9 months or so is it the same deal with these types of exhaust?

The cold air intake, is the only thing I really have to do is replace the air filter? And is there a recommended amount of time to do this? If I have been driving it since August should I deal with it in the next few months? Oh ya, also I think I was also told that you don't even have to replace these types of filters rather just to clean them off. If someone could verify this too that would be awesome.

Thanks for any advice.

Bryan

Old 04-06-2009, 03:05 PM
HCF Member

i see no reason why or how a muffler would need replaced after 9 months. as for the air filter what type is it K&N, AEM, etc. K&N can be cleaned, dried, and oiled. AEM's dry flow (what I have) is cleaned and then dried. I would recommend a good filter if it is a cheap system/filter.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
HCF Member

nearly every name brand filter can be cleaned, dried oiled(excluding aem dry flow).

As for how often, just whenever it's visibly dirty around the filter. Just as you would clean anything that's dusty, don't wait for it to get too dirty.

If your intake isn't a real cheap brand/cheap quality, it should last you probably as long as you own the car. And cheaper exhausts will rust a lot quicker if you live up north(icy/salty roads)

Old 04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
HCF Member

How dare you compare a Geo with a Civic. Hahaha.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:03 PM

LOL NO NO NO, that was not my intention at all...omg my new car is just heaven compared to my old junker.

I didnt see a name on it so ill have to look at little closer at my air filter to determine the brand, it looks a little dirty so ill try to mess around with it in the next couple weeks.

Keep in mind I live up north muffler wise so we get alot more wear on our underside due to salting and crap. The geo really did go through a couple of mufflers in the 4 yrs or so i have it, I obviously figured mine would be better I just wanted to get an idea of how much better something like mine would be, although I didnt see a name brand.

My cold air intake is a company named "Injen" is this a reputable brand? Hopefully thats a decent one /crosses fingers

Thanks again for all the info.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

yes injen is good. Just go to autozone or whever and get some air intake cleaner