General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

manual driving tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:54 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: manual driving tips

You should check with your local police dept. In lots of cities they offer these emergency driving classes. They teach you to control the car in a hydroplane, in a blowout, and all. They are free, and you can get a discount on your insurance. Just check and see if they do. Its a great thing to do.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:01 AM
HCF Member

ya ive always wanted to take some classes like that im also thinking id like to take some classes in different types of racing just sounds like alot of fun plus its alot safer than teachin urself on the street

Old 08-24-2007, 08:26 AM

My drivin instructor told me to let ur foot of the clutch untill your bonnet rises slightly then ur all good, might not work if ur clutch isnt that good like mine but give it a try.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:13 AM
HCF Member

When you're rolling down your steep driveway, you don't even need to give it any gas at all. Just let the clutch out as it rolls. Or, you can wait until you are at the bottom of the driveway then launch, keeping the clutch in as you're rolling to the bottom.

Just a tip.

And if you're inexperienced (which i believe you are), when starting on hills, use your e brake to keep the car from rolling into the guy behind you. When you are more confident you can probably get away with just engaging the clutch as quicker, with higher RPMS.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:06 PM

There's no shame in not being good with a manual when you're not used to it but windcalmer's got a point with you being 16 and having a car like this. I'm just getting my first civic after driving junk cars for the last 8 years (hence me joining the forum) andi'm glad i didn't have one when i passed my test cos i'd have probably done myselfsome harm.I noticed thoughthat beacause they have a hydraulic clutch instead of a cable, they're much harder to get the hang of

Old 09-01-2007, 04:04 PM
HCF Member

ahhh. Haha, I just learned stick three weeks ago! Trust me man, in about a week or two, it will become second nature. I think the thing that made me not nervous anymore, was when I had to actually start taking it places besides around the block. haha, I took it to my buddys party, and let me tell you, I stalled sooooo many times. And got stuck on a hill! Fun fun. For tips, there really is not that many i could give. I mean you just have to keep practicing the cluth and gas technique, its pretty tough at first, but i promise you'll get a great feel for it! Im only 16 too, so you know...I was on the same boat as you.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:13 PM
HCF Member

Yeah my civic is my first stick car so after a couple weeks you get the hang of it. Luckily I haven't stalled very much. The hardest place I've driven it was a really steep hill with large speed bumps on it in a parking lot... stalled it there, haha. Driving to work in rush hour traffic was great practice to learn more.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:49 PM
HCF Member

my first car was a 14 second car (camaro z28) which also had a short shifter it was just as easy to learn on imho, becuase that was what i learned on so it was the only thing i knew. imo it doesent matter what caris your first carto a point, responsibility is everything. you can have a geo metro or a turbo'd civic and be irresponsible and crash and diein either one. on the whole learning to drive stick thing, ya just practice in your long driveway or a quite neighborhood at night where theres no other cars and no kids in the street.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:22 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: liquidrider_3214

my first car was a 14 second car (camaro z28) which also had a short shifter it was just as easy to learn on imho, becuase that was what i learned on so it was the only thing i knew. imo it doesent matter what caris your first carto a point, responsibility is everything. you can have a geo metro or a turbo'd civic and be irresponsible and crash and diein either one. on the whole learning to drive stick thing, ya just practice in your long driveway or a quite neighborhood at night where theres no other cars and no kids in the street.
Actually on stronger cars like the camaro, its kinda easier because you just have to release the clutch slowly and the car will go even without pressing the gas. on a civic it will go just a little bit but its not as easy. So like everyone says, just practise and youll get it.
(p.s. dont practise in the rain. i did so many burnouts it wasnt even funny)

Old 09-02-2007, 04:59 AM
HCF Member

hahahahaha, even after learning for three weeks, i fricking stalled today! Of course, I was driving my mom to some place, and shes like well lets just take your civic, i was like alright but you're going to hate being in the car because its stick. Well long story short, she was getting mad and scared for no reason whatsoever, so when i was on a hill she like screamed and it scared the poop out of me so i let go of the clutch and the car just stalled. hahah. Some kid behind me was like HAHAHAHHA. so it takes a few weeks

Quick Reply: manual driving tips