General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

need help...car wont start,think its a fuel issue i think....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:32 PM
HCF Member
Default need help...car wont start,think its a fuel issue i think....

well first off damn its been awhile since i posted,guess i havent had anything really to post about but now i do....ok so here is the deal.My car started dying on me about a week ago....it would start up kinda slugish but nothing serious,after a couple of day after that i would get to a stop light and the car would idle really low to the point to where it would just die on me but it would start right back up no problem but next stop same thing.So me and my dad started messing with it in the garage and we would take the spark plugs out and they would have alot of gas on a couple of them and we would clean them off and put them back in and it seemed the car would start fine after that and sometimes after putting the charger on it.So after a couple of days of that it started getting worse....it would die and we would have to do that cleaning process over and over about 4 times and then it would start....but it wouldnt start unless i had the gas floored and thats about it.So last week after going to work it wouldnt start at all....we have tried everything we have before and nothing seems to get it going,it cranks fine and pretty fast but it wont turn over...it seems that if we leave it for a day and then we try it that it almost turns over but then after about 4 seconds of cranking it loses it and just goes back to cranking and cranking.....we thought maybe it was leaky injectors so the other day i got some off ebay that was on a car that had about 40,000 on it.WE thought that would fix it but it didnt....it seems to almost wanna turn over better but still wont start,only main difference that we both can tell is that now it seems to wanna start when i dont even push on the gas like it should be unlike it was with the other injectors when i had to hold the gas down....i think thats about all i can explain without knowing everything.....so it would be really great if anyone could help cause my car is at work and i cant tow it home.Anything else that maybe i missed that would help pls ask......thanks.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: need help...car wont start,think its a fuel issue i think....

anyone???...i really need some quick help on this so i can work on it tomm when i get to work.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:09 PM
HCF Member

ok all this time on here and nothing....someone has to know this on here.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Any ECU codes? Does the CEL go on and then off like it should? Can you hear the fuel pump? Did you check for spark? Go thru the basic "crank but won't start" drill.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:57 PM
HCF Member

yeah i did all that...i even went and got a used working fuel regulator and relpaced it and still nothing.I know im getting both fuel and spark but something is keeping it from starting.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Maybe something foreign in the fuel? Disconnect the hose at the regulator output and get a sample of fuel (This test also proves that your fuel pump develops full pressure, and the filter isn't clogged).

Also the timing could be wrong because of trouble with the belt. Take off the upper timing belt cover and check the cam timing.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
HCF Member

i think the timing is ok...how would you test to see if th pump is putting out the right amount of pressure cause i know its working cause i took it off to squirt out some fuel just to make sure.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When you disconnect AFTER the regulator, fuel will only flow there once the fuel rail pressure has reached the regulator setting (assuming the regulator is OK).

Check the timing for sure, only takes a few minutes. Once you have the cover off, turn the crank counterclockwise to TDC with a socket wrench. It's at TDC when the SINGLE notch on the accessory pulley lines up with the plastic pointer. Then the cam should be aligned with "UP" at the top and the two marks horizontal about even with the edge of the head. (If "UP" is at the bottom, turn the crank exactly once all the way around.)

Old 02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
HCF Member

so if fuel is coming out of the bottom of the regulator does that mean the fuel rail is ok cause the outside plugs are getting wet and the inside ones are pretty dry and i dont know if thats suppose to happen or not.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

No that's not supposed to happen, but it could be reasons other than the fuel rail. The fuel flows all the way across regardless. You can check if the ECU is driving all the injectors by unplugging them and hooking a small light bulb (like a #194) to the plug. It should flash as you crank, the same way on all of them.

Really it's sounding more like an internal problem, with the difference between cylinders. If you have a compression gauge, check the compression.

Quick Reply: need help...car wont start,think its a fuel issue i think....