General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

need help...car wont start,think its a fuel issue i think....

Old 02-27-2008, 11:35 AM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: need help...car wont start,think its a fuel issue i think....

How did you check for spark?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:52 AM
HCF Member

i left the plugs in the wires but took the wires out and cranked it and you could see the spark pretty good,someone said the main fuel relay but i dont think thats it.Someone said compression too but i dont know....like i said this is something that got worse over time not something that just happened all the sudden.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:04 PM
HCF Member

quick update....i unplugged the outside injectors and had my friend spray carb cleaner in the intake and it will actuallt start but die when i try to see if it will idle cause i dont have all 4 plugged in.When i have all 4 plugged in and try the same thing with that spray it wont start up like that.....so whats up with that????

Old 02-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Hmm too much fuel could be a sensor problem like the MAP, you're sure there's no ECU codes? Make sure the MAP sensor is securely plugged. If the MAP is not mounted directly on the manifold check the vacuum hose. If you have easy access to a parts car swap out the MAP. There's also a way to test it if you have a voltmeter.

It think these had MAP rather than mass airflow sensors, a bad MAF can do the same thing.

It would be really good to rule out internal problems like compression or timing before getting into the expensive sensors.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:19 PM
HCF Member

well we have 2 big used parts places here and i asked on of them how much a map sensor was and they said 35 and then i told them what was going on with the car and they said since i was getting fuel then it has nothing to do with the map sensor....i know all these guys build tegs and hondas so i thought they were right and i didnt get one.Doesnt mean they arent wrong but i dont know,im off tomm so maybe ill check it....i still just dont know why the plugs are dry on the inside and out ones are getting the fuel it needs.

o yeah i do have a multimeter so how can i check my map sensor???

Old 02-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Turn the key on and measure (with the sensor still plugged in) the voltage from each of the 3 wires to ground. One will be about 0 volts, one 5 volts, and one somewhere inbetween. That inbetween wire is the output wire. If you apply vacuum to the sensor inlet the voltage on the output wire should change. RonJ may be willing to look up the official instructions.

The MAP is vital to the ECU deciding how much fuel to inject. If it has the wrong reading the ECU might end up flooding the engine out. This is also interesting in light that you were able to get it to start by holding the gas wide open.

But please check the timing first.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:31 PM
HCF Member

ok ill check the timing in the morning and maybe i can check the map here in a bit.I almost kinda thought maybe from all the stuff i was reading that the main fuel relay was bad but i could never find the damn thing to check it out though.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:00 PM
HCF Member

i red that there was a recall for the ignition switch for my model....maybe that has something to do with my problem since i havent checked it yet....is there anything i can do about that since there was a recall???

Old 02-28-2008, 11:26 AM
HCF Member

well i just replaced the dizzy cap and rotor and nothing....im running outta ideas cause i thought maybe it would be something small since it was a thing that kept on getting worse.I thought if it was something to do with the computer or anything like that that it would have just quit and not got worse as the time went on like it was.