General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

new alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:23 PM
HCF Member
Default new alternator?

Tested my alternator and noticed that it was varying in voltage from 14 to 12.5 randomly. This, I'm sure, is the cause for my electrical problems. Another tough break for a poor fool like me. No mods for a while longer I guess. Now comes the fun part.

It needs replaced. What's a reasonable price on that if I have a shop put it on. $400? I'll probably be buried in this car because of how much money I've spent on it already, so let's take into account the fact that I'll buy the one with a lifetime warranty. Thanks folks.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: new alternator?

well instal it yourself.... save alot of cash.. THO i know with my civic it does the same thing.... ranges from 12volts to 14volts at different times at idle... i think its something to do with the computer interface... if your runnen stock no large amplifiers or anything over 600watts the stock alt should work fine...

BUT if you think your alt isnt working right take it to autozone or any place that will check your charging system for free... they just clamp on a few wire/sensors and have you start up your car and hold a 2K rpm i believe and thier computuer will put a test on the system....

ill be buying my new higher power alternator off ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...025&rd=1,1

will beat the hell outta the stock 70amp alt!!! cause my car ALWAYS runs beter runnen 14volts than 12volts!

Old 06-11-2007, 07:45 PM
HCF Member

if it wavers back and forth like that, I suggest that you check your alt too. I'm guessing that mine had a bearing going out or something like that. not bad for a ten year old stock alt, though.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well the fluctuating voltage seems to be normal for idle.... i think after the engine goes over 1K rpms the voltage kicks up to 14volts.... if your engine runs like crap then id say it COULD be your cables also.... check all your ground wires or replace them with larger cables if posible.

BUT if your voltage fluctuates like that while above 1K rpms... then its definatly a alt problem....

Old 06-12-2007, 03:11 PM
HCF Member

It's definately the alt. The voltage was tested directly on the alternator. The fluctuation is generated by the alternator.

Originally, I had the alt tested, but they only left the test on it for a few seconds. It read 14, so they took it off immediately. I was told that the alt was fine, and that I have a grounding issue or my plug wires were shot. The plug wires are brand new as I installed them in March. I, under the assumption that their test of the alt was correct, wasted some five hours checking and testing every ground wire and connection in my engine bay. Nothing helped....so I had the alt tested again, and told them to leave it on there for five or ten minutes instead of thirty seconds. They did not do that, and instead, checked all the grounds again, drove all the gas out of it in the daylight trying to see the lights flicker, and in general dicking off.

Nothing like getting a bill for two hours of straight shop time (which is now up to $56 an hour) on top of the price to replace the part and the time it takes to put it in. All told, the job will end up being about $500. It would be considerably less than that if I did it myself, but I don't have any decent tools anymore. Most were stolen while I was away at school.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

500bucks i woulda spent on new tools.LOL

but is the problem fixed now?