General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

New Exterior Mods... ugh

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:40 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: New Exterior Mods... ugh

ok time to fix my car..not that I can afford to, but in anycase...

Body/cosmetic stuff is gonna wait. My question is this...is it safe/smart to by suspension bit from a wreaker? or Ebay? (please please whatever you do, don't send me to a stealership!!!)

Old 06-21-2008, 08:47 AM
HCF Member

ok time for an update. Here's the deal. My girl had a "work permit" to drive (long story on why she doesn't have a full licence). She thought it expired July 1, but it expired June 1 at midnight. The accident happened at 9am June 2nd...9hrs after [:@]

Anyway, so since she was not licenced I have no insurance to cover. If I cough up the cash, the insurance company will fix it to spec. (approx $3000 by their estimate). OR I can fix it myself. I would like you all to take a good hard look at the pics and tell me what all you see that I need to replace. Right now I'm looking more to get it mobile, cosmetic stuff (aka bumper skin/fender) are not vital right now.

I also would like to double check that for suspension parts (control arms, steering knuckle, etc) I can use anything from 92-00? Or am I limitied to 96-00? Any info would be great! My fiance's bro said he'd be willing to help me out, and do most of the work (for under a grand!). It still has to pass safety, but I think I have some people I can talk to about that

Name:  DSC00367.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  91.6 KB

Name:  DSC00371.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  DSC00372.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  105.1 KB

Name:  SSPX7324.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  11.4 KB

I know for sure upper control arm, knuckle, prob front springs & shocks, balljoints, and an alignment... this is to get it drivable again. any ideas/info/comments would be welcome along with which years I can swap parts from. Thanks again, hoping I can get mobile again soon... borrowing the work truck kinda sucks (92 F150 4x4, rides like a tank, its in horrible shape, and an absolute gas hog...ick)

Old 06-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

your springs and struts might be alright..... spring should be fine as long as its not busted into 2 pieces... tho just to be safe i would take apart the spring/strut and be sure the struts rod is straight and true, but if its bent or locks up when pushing it in and pulling it out then i would replace it...
of course upper and lower controls arms id definatly replace.

other than that i would say replace the soft brake line because it looks stretched pretty bad!

the ABS wire looks questionable as well.... not sure if its replaceable or not....
you can always take your pictures to a stealership and find out which parts are interchangable...

axle most likely since the rubber it torn.
tie rod is possibly bad ball joint... they are pretty cheap so might as well replace them both before the new alignment.
unsure of year range... but i know for a fact at least the upper control arms are different.
unsure of the rest sorry...