General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

new owner, questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Default new owner, questions

Hi everybody, i am the new owner of a 98 civic DX 4 door, manual with 215k on the motor.
I am very new to honda, i am coming from 2 audi A4's and a ford focus before them, i am hoping and guessing that this car will be easier to work on than those( not that they were too difficult for me)
i have lots of questions but i will keep it to the necessary ones for now.
i am wondering if there is anything i should do to the car maintenance wise with this many miles? some advice to keep it running like a top. the car just got a full tuneup, new muffler new rear shocks.
i noticed that every once in a while the car will not start the first try, the second time it will start right up. i am thinking that maybe my fuel pump is starting to go? any suggestions there? i thought that this may be why the previous owner did the tuneup,
also i have no idea when the timing belt/ water pump were done. is there any way to see when it was done last? or should i just do the swap if i am going into the motor anyways?
thanks for all the help and any suggestions on maintenance would be appreciated

Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 PM

No way to really tell unless someone wrote the date and mileage on the belt and it is still legible. When in doubt, replace it.If you are going to pull the motor apart, just replace those parts.