General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

NRG Innovations Engine Torque Damper In My 97 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 AM
HCF Member
Default NRG Innovations Engine Torque Damper In My 97 Civic

I finally got around to installing it the "right" way yesterday. The mounting bolts that came with the kit weren't long enough for me to install extra washers and rubber o-rings for vibration dampening.

Installation instructions that came with the kit were sorely lacking so I used the Ingalls instructions for the install.

The first time I installed the kit, with the polyurethane internal dampers, the unit almost shook itself apart and it rattled the dashboard. I took out the damper, took it apart and installed the softer rubber dampers and set the unit to the lowest amount of dampening (which is still very effective in dampening engine torque). I tightened everything back up using Loc-tite to prevent the unit from shaking apart. I reinstalled it with the new longer bolts and o-rings (pictures will follow as soon as it stops raining. I should have taken pictures right after the install, but I was running late for school, so I didn't have time).

Well, the difference with the softer dampers and my mounting setup vs. the stock setup was night and day. The extra cabin noise/vibration I get at idle is similar to that of a car with an aftermarket performance exhaust. Mind you, my car's idle RPM is only about 600, but if I give it gas and get it up to 700 RPM, the vibration goes away, so I might have to adjust my idle. There is no vibration while driving. Anything above 700 RPM and the vibration goes away.

As for driveability, I don't have that lag anymore when I start from 1st and I give it gas. The lag is also gone in 2nd gear too.

This is the by far the best bang for the buck. I shopped around online and I found it for $59.95 + $19 s/h, which was still cheaper than all the other websites.

Anyway, that's my $.02. Pictures to follow.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 AM
HCF Member

I'd like to see the pictures man. i've been thinking about getting a torque damper myself but still looking into it. i think i might go with the ingalls "stiffy" torque damper.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:27 AM
HCF Member

The Ingalls "Stiffy" and the NRG engine torque dampers are essentially the same thing. What the Ingalls is is more than twice the price of the NRG and all they added were a couple of rubber o-rings at the two ends of the ETD where it mounts to the bolts. For a few bucks, I essentially did the same thing with parts from the plumbing and hardware departments at Lowe's. I'll try to get pictures of it on Monday. The weather has been crap.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:34 AM
HCF Member

really? haha well good thing i mentioned it, you just saved me a few extra dollars

Old 05-10-2012, 05:56 PM
HCF Member

Well, after a week of driving my car with the ETD, I have to say that it is not for me. Initially, the car was fine, but over the course of a week, the rubber o-rings I used to dampen the vibrations wore out and deteriorated from between the washers. The vibrations returned with an annoying vengeance. Everything in the cabin rattled. So, I removed the ETD and replaced the Left Front Rubber Stopper Insulator - item #9 in this diagram - Honda Parts OEM 30% Off | No Tax!! Outside California | Honda Dealer Parts

I replaced this part because when I had the car up on the lift, I noticed the original stopper insulator was broken. Having did some research as to how I can prevent the internal supports from breaking, I came across some guy's project wherein he poured liquid urethane into the open spaces between the internal rubber supports. Well, it turns out I didn't have to do that. The new one I ordered had a new design without any openings. It was nice and solid, but forgiving. No more annoying cabin vibrations, but an engine/shifting feel similar to the ETD. The new stopper insulator only cost me $35 plus $40 labor, which turned out to be much cheaper than the ETD.

I guess I'll be relegating the ETD to the "lesson learned" pile of stuff that didn't quite work the way I wanted it to. The ETD is good for racing applications, but not so good for a daily driver. So, anyone who is looking at an ETD, look into other materials for vibration dampening at the mounting bolts other than the rubber o-rings I used. Use the Ingalls Stiffy ETD as an example as to what you need to get for the NRG one. I don't want to spend anymore time and energy into vibration-dampening the one I have and I am perfectly happy with the new stopper insulator, which is what you might want to look into if yours is broken like mine was.