Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

NRG Torque Damper

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 AM
HCF Member
Default NRG Torque Damper

Any opinions on this? Only chose ebay link because it was the cheapest I could find the NRG brand. I have seen several writeups in other forums but wanted to ask you guys first. My engine movement is annoying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NRG-E...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-19-2009, 12:07 PM

works, and NRG is good.

However, I suggest Energy Suspension polyurethane motor mount inserts. You'll achieve the same thing but with less clutter in the engine bay, and for only $40-50.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:43 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
works, and NRG is good.

However, I suggest Energy Suspension polyurethane motor mount inserts. You'll achieve the same thing but with less clutter in the engine bay, and for only $40-50.
How hard is it to install the mounts... Im just really tired of my engine shaking... I laugh b/c when I am sitting in my car and driving, the shifter moves forward and back when in gear... its hilarious...

Old 05-19-2009, 12:54 PM

Well the torque damper and/or mounts will only make that worse. They stiffen the engine.

For that problem, I recommend replacing all of your shifter bushings, and getting Energy Suspension shifter bushings (only replaces two of the bushings... for the rest you need to go OEM Honda). The following part numbers are not actual part numbers, just numbers used to identify the item in the diagram, so if you take the number "7" to Honda and tell them you need a "7", they're not going to know what you mean. I recommend just ordering online, as the local dealer will have more expensive items and that extra cost will probably equate to the cost in shipping from ordering online.

Here's what you need from Honda:
  • 5 (quantity 2)
  • 23 (quantity 4)
  • 4 (quantity 2)... recommended... this is a thrust washer, not a bushing

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=SHIFT+LEVER

Energy Suspension Shifter Bushings come in a set and replace part numbers 14, 16, and 19 on the diagram. Ignore 27, 30, 31, and 32; those aren't on your car. Try to get black (contains graphite and lasts longer), but it's no big deal if you get red. I have red and it's fine.

http://inlinefour.com/ensusshifsta.html

Last edited by trustdestruction; 05-19-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:20 PM
HCF Member

Well the torque damper and/or mounts will only make that worse. They stiffen the engine.

For that problem, I recommend replacing all of your shifter bushings, and getting Energy Suspension shifter bushings (only replaces two of the bushings... for the rest you need to go OEM Honda). The following part numbers are not actual part numbers, just numbers used to identify the item in the diagram, so if you take the number "7" to Honda and tell them you need a "7", they're not going to know what you mean. I recommend just ordering online, as the local dealer will have more expensive items and that extra cost will probably equate to the cost in shipping from ordering online.

Here's what you need from Honda:
  • 5 (quantity 2)
  • 23 (quantity 4)
  • 4 (quantity 2)... recommended... this is a thrust washer, not a bushing

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=SHIFT+LEVER

Energy Suspension Shifter Bushings come in a set and replace part numbers 14, 16, and 19 on the diagram. Ignore 27, 30, 31, and 32; those aren't on your car. Try to get black (contains graphite and lasts longer), but it's no big deal if you get red. I have red and it's fine.

http://inlinefour.com/ensusshifsta.html

Nice, is this an easy repair? Also this parts list you gave me is for MT Y8 right?

Old 05-19-2009, 01:27 PM

Yea, it's pretty easy if you are the kind of guy who doesn't mind turning a few wrenches. It's not too in depth.

All the parts I gave you are the ones for your car. If you buy the energy suspension bushings you'll need to make sure to select "92-00 SOHC Civic" or whatever it says.

The effect that the energy suspension bushings will have over stock is that they will make the shifting more precise and the level won't move side to side as much while in neutral and especially less side-to-side movement while in gear. It will also make the end of the shift throw more exact. For example, when you shift into 3rd, you won't be able to push the shifter as much more forward than it needs to be. Basically it'll be stiffer while in gear, but not harder to shift.

You'll also need some white lithium grease, for lubing the ball towards the bottom of the shifter. It can be found at the auto parts store for a few bucks.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 PM
HCF Member

Yea, it's pretty easy if you are the kind of guy who doesn't mind turning a few wrenches. It's not too in depth.

All the parts I gave you are the ones for your car. If you buy the energy suspension bushings you'll need to make sure to select "92-00 SOHC Civic" or whatever it says.

The effect that the energy suspension bushings will have over stock is that they will make the shifting more precise and the level won't move side to side as much while in neutral and especially less side-to-side movement while in gear. It will also make the end of the shift throw more exact. For example, when you shift into 3rd, you won't be able to push the shifter as much more forward than it needs to be. Basically it'll be stiffer while in gear, but not harder to shift.

You'll also need some white lithium grease, for lubing the ball towards the bottom of the shifter. It can be found at the auto parts store for a few bucks.
Nice! Thanks for the help, I think I will do this and probably do the poly mounts and torque damper after this... all of this should make my car quite a bit more stiff on shifting and acceleration right? My car rocks like a boat when I take off (front end goes up high and back low in between shifts)