General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

once you go synthetic, you can't go back..

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:16 AM
Default once you go synthetic, you can't go back..

is it true that once you starts to use synthetic oil, it's not recommendedthat youuse regular oil again?

Old 06-21-2007, 06:08 AM
Default RE: once you go synthetic, you can't go back..

Nope... unless you car specifically states for you to use synthetic, then stick to it. Synthetic should be ok to use/mix with regular dyno oil. Just try not to mix different weight/api class.

this site should give you all the answers about oil.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Old 06-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Why would you want to go back? It's worth the extra cost especially now that regular oil is much more expensive than it used to be, but synthetic is about the same.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:47 AM
HCF Member

you won't see any performance gain of any kind using synthetic in your civic, you just think you are because you paid a few extra bucks over some other oil.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:03 PM

Synthetic doesn't bond with conventional at all (when it's strait to strait) so if you want to go back to cheapo oil than goto a synthetic blend to act as a middle bridge between the two in the cycles.

If you're looking at oil for HP you might as well believe the claims from the "Speed Chips" on ebay...... I would trust synthetic alot more when running hard on my engine since it's got a higher burning/breakdown tempature....

Old 06-21-2007, 03:14 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: BlackDX

Synthetic doesn't bond with conventional at all (when it's strait to strait) so if you want to go back to cheapo oil than goto a synthetic blend to act as a middle bridge between the two in the cycles.

If you're looking at oil for HP you might as well believe the claims from the "Speed Chips" on ebay...... I would trust synthetic alot more when running hard on my engine since it's got a higher burning/breakdown tempature....
that's what i'm going to reply the next time someone mentions power gains with synthetic, lol

Old 06-21-2007, 11:00 PM
HCF Member

gee.

do i want to go get an oil change every 3,000 miles or every 10,000 miles..

why go back from synthetic. ud be a moron if you did.

synthetic ftw b1tches..

Old 06-22-2007, 07:33 AM
HCF Member

There is more at stake here than the synthetic oil. My gen8 goes 7500+ miles on an oil change. The main reason the oil is changed then is for the filter. If you make a change to synthetic and want to go 10,000 miles between changes you must use an oil filter rated for that distance. A 3,000 mile filter won't do, unlessyou change the filter at 3,000 miles and then top off the oil.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Nobody said anything about higher performance, it's true you won't get that. But the oil does last longer so you're running on tired old oil for less of each oil change cycle. That should mean longer engine life unless you fall for the tempation to extend the change schedule.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:49 AM
HCF Member

i dont trusy going 10k intervals. i switched to synthetic a few months ago and am gonna prob go 4 or 5k now

Quick Reply: once you go synthetic, you can't go back..