General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Question about new Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Default Question about new Headlights

So i have a relatively stock 97 white civic and is wondering about replacing the headlights. The stock ones are pretty old and foggy, so i was thinking about buying a pair of Halo Projectors.(I always wanted ones on my car)

I found a pair on craigslist(Yea i know) for $125. The dude said it was by Sonar and it had "JDM" on it's boxing.

So i have a few questions:
-will these fit on my civic?
-is JDM better or the same as OEM?
-is the lights HID?
-how will i know that it will function properly?( a method to test it would help)
-are there any other questions i should tell to the seller?
-will it make it look ricey if i just install these lights on? haha

I don't know much about cars, so a little help would be greatly appreciated

Of course, I'm going to inspect the lights in person myself.

You can check my garage to see pictures of my car.

Here's an actual pic of it:

Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by iLikePie
So i have a few questions:
-will these fit on my civic?
-is JDM better or the same as OEM?
-is the lights HID?
-how will i know that it will function properly?( a method to test it would help)
-are there any other questions i should tell to the seller?
-will it make it look ricey if i just install these lights on? haha
If it is 96-98, it should fit.

JDM refers to something which was offered solely in Japan. This was not. "JDM" is a keyword search term.

I don't know. I am sure you can put either halogen, or HIDs in there.

They are pieces of plastic. Not much you can do to "test them". You would install headlights into them.

Not that I can think of.

Yes, rice-tastic.

My suggestion is to go with a replacement OEM style headlight from eBay. You can either get chrome (stock), or black. I went with a set of chrome, put them in the oven, pulled the plastic lenses off, and painted the headlights a metallic black color after experimenting with Gold. Total cost was about $100.

Name:  DSC02673.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  60.5 KB

The gold started to change colors after a few days, so I ditched it and went with a black metallic type spray paint I found at Wal-mart.

Name:  052110-BlackMetallicHeadlightupclos.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  052110-BlackMetallicHeadlightsoncar.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  60.3 KB

Pictures of them installed on the car don't do justice as I have gotten compliments from many people on them when they notice the metallic paint.

Get creative with it! Just be careful when pulling off the lenses, or you will crack them, wasting your money There are a few how to guides floating around out there which can help you with how to do it.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:31 AM

Man would it really look ricey? I feel like now i need to get a new Camaro,because putting some halo headlights on them would not make them look ricey. Haha

I still have some faith in the Halos, but would these lights work?
96 97 98 HONDA CIVIC LH Driver Headlight NEW Headlamp | eBay

Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by iLikePie
Man would it really look ricey? I feel like now i need to get a new Camaro,because putting some halo headlights on them would not make them look ricey. Haha

I still have some faith in the Halos, but would these lights work?
96 97 98 HONDA CIVIC LH Driver Headlight NEW Headlamp | eBay
Yes, it would. However, that is my opinion. You do whatever you would like though.

I don't understand the Camaro thing, do they have Halos on them or something? I don't pay attention to newer cars since I know I wouldn't be able to afford one, let alone a Chevy.*shiver*

The link you posted looks to be for one OEM replacement headlight.

Black:
96-98 HONDA CIVIC EK DX EX LX BLACK HEADLIGHTS 2/3/4DR | eBay

"Chrome":
96-98 Honda Civic All Models Crystal Chrome Clear Headlights Head Lamps Assembly | eBay

Smoked (I do not recommend these as you may be harassed by police possibly):
96-98 Honda Civic All Models Crystal Smoke Tint Headlights LH RH Lamps Assembly | eBay

Again, these are my suggestions. It is your car, do as you wish. If you want something that will look decent, I would go with the black, or chrome. If you get these, be sure that the turn signal bulbs you put into them are amber and not clear to stay in accordance with the law. Also, pick up a tube of silicone sealant and seal the headlights up as headlights like these are known to bring in moisture due to a poor seal from the factory.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 AM

I bought my Halo's off ebay a couple years ago. I paid upwards of $200 and did my best to pick an OEM replacement that would have a good seal and hold up. I commute and I picked up a lot of oxidation on these lenses (mostly from the winter months). Yesterday I used an abrasive compund and cleaned them up and polished. They look nearly as good as they did the day I bought them and the seal is still holding up well.

I got the idea and like the halo look that seem to be on most BMW and Mazda vehicles today.

Good luck...