General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

question for RHD guys

Old 03-02-2006, 03:25 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: question for RHD guys

I see no point in a RHD anything in the U.S., everything is setup for the drivers side to be on the left and in all reality it adds no performance qualities at all other than the "OMG111!!!! LOOK AT ME I'M SO jDm yO!!!!" status. I could understand importing say a R32/R34 but a RHD civic that is in everyway the exact same as what you get here??? That brings me to a late 90's CTR, you could source all the parts for a CTR other than the RHD crap and build a CTR replica out of a 99/00 Hatch alot cheaper than importing one. Some have no idea the cost of the inspections, transporting, getting U.S. correct parts and so on are.

I am a civic owner and this is a civic forum but I may **** some off in saying that no honda civic is worth that.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: amg6975

Imagine going through a bank drive through, or McDonalds, or a toll booth.
Go through it backwards?

Old 03-02-2006, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: C5SpoonEG

can I ask how much you paid for your car? Im just curious cuz apparently we cant insure them up here until theyre 15 years old.... I almost bought an R32 GTR nut Id rather wait.
The car was basically a shell, and cost all of $3,000. It was a JDM S14 though, not a Skyline.

I see no point in a RHD anything in the U.S., everything is setup for the drivers side to be on the left and in all reality it adds no performance qualities at all other than the "OMG111!!!! LOOK AT ME I'M SO jDm yO!!!!" status. I could understand importing say a R32/R34 but a RHD civic that is in everyway the exact same as what you get here??? That brings me to a late 90's CTR, you could source all the parts for a CTR other than the RHD crap and build a CTR replica out of a 99/00 Hatch alot cheaper than importing one. Some have no idea the cost of the inspections, transporting, getting U.S. correct parts and so on are.
I'm not talking about a Civic. I see your point though... doing a conversion on one is a waste and importing one RHD isn't really worth it either. But on other cars that are already RHD and actually have some semblance of uniqueness, it's totally worth it. Once you own one, you kind of see what all the hype is about. And no, I didn't go driving around like a little rice-boy all the time, because my car actually had the ***** to back up my backwards seating. I am of the opinion that RHD's are actually easier and more fun to drive, though that might be partially due to driving standard for so many years.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:31 AM
HCF Member

I can see something like a Silvia, Skyline, or something like that but something as simple as a civic I dont understand. I lived in Japan my 7th and 8th grade year as my stepfather was stationed at Yakota AFB on the out-skirts of Tokyo and the first car I learned to drive with a manual transmission was a RHD 91 Base Skyline and a MR2, I see nothing really better about it......just different

Old 03-04-2006, 01:20 PM

No, you're absolutely right. Unless you're driving on the left side of the road, there is absolutely no benefit to it at all. It just comes down to personal preference... I tend to do a lot of things left-handed, so shifting lefty has a nice feel to it for me.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Do yo uhave any pics of that car, I dont think I've ever seen any

Old 03-06-2006, 09:32 AM
HCF Member

yea... what are you driving?

Old 03-06-2006, 02:08 PM
HCF Member

Old 03-06-2006, 05:07 PM

ha

Old 03-06-2006, 06:41 PM

I don't have pics of anything... thanks to the fact that I don't own a camera, digital or otherwise.

And I don't own a car at the moment either...

My next project is either going to be a 1G DSM or an S13.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: question for RHD guys