General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Question on SI service

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Post Question on SI service

Whats'up bro!?
I hav became an EM1 owner not much time ago and my car, which is almost full OEM, has 120K miles on it. There are few questions I want to ask about the service on my car.

First of all, what kind of engine oil should I use for my civic?
The pervious owner uses the syntec oil, but I know that an engine which is over 10 yrs old should use something sticky instead. Should I keep using the syntec oil or just regular 5W-30 service?

Moreover, what kind of clutch service should I perform?
The clutch which sitting in my car is oem and never been changed since the date this baby was made. My friend suggests me replacing the clutch soon which I plan to do it on next year. I beileve I will put another 10k miles on it before I get the replacement job done. The pervious owner did frequently flush the clutch. Therefore, what should I do to my clutch? Simply oil changing or any other suggestion?

Lastly, what else I should do?
Apart from regular oil and fluid level inspections, what should I perform to maintain my baby? Alignment has been performed on April this year and timing belt has been replaced not a very long time ago. Other than that, I believe nothing has been replaced before.

Very appreciate that you've spent time on reading and helping me out!
I know my English is sucks since English is not my first langauge. I'm sorry if you were having a hard time to understand what I wrote.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:14 PM
HCF Member

always use a good quality synthetic oil, like mobil or castrol syntec is fine.

replace the clutch when it starts slipping, otherwise leave it for now.

when i buy a car, i do an oil and filter change, transmission fluid, brake fluid, clutch fluid, differential fluid (not applicable for fwd), spark plug change, air filter or put on an aftermarket one, and alignment.

but the only essential one really is oil, the rest are if you're ****.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:34 PM

Thanks for your reply!
So, should I use the full synthetic oil or synthetic blend oil?
The previous owner did install an aftermarket intake but I believe it is some cheap eBay stuff. Would it damage my engine?

Old 09-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Use full synthetic oil. No one says how much synthetic is in their "synthetic blend". I could pour one quart of synthetic oil into a big vat of conventional oil and sell it as "synthetic blend." It's a myth that synthetic makes old cars leak oil. The truth is that all old cars are going to leak.

The intake is just a metal pipe so cheap is OK there, but the problem is the cheap filter lets dust into the engine. A lot of people upgrade their ebay pipe with a real filter.