General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Newbie service question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:49 AM
Default Newbie service question

I just got my first Civic, an '06 EX Coupe 5-speed. I've never had a car before without a maintenance schedule included. All the manual says is perform service when the car tells you to. Give me a brake. Does anybody know the oil change and major service interval for these [awesome] cars? Thanks.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:04 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Newbie service question

You should change your oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles. Around 75,000 for anti freeze coolant.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:04 AM

If you ask your dealerships service folks for a list of service items for your 2006 Civic, they can give you one. Then, ask what they charge for each itme on that list.

The list I got was not by broken out by mileage, however--it is just a list of service points/items and the new Honda "categories" they fall under--like "A1," and so on. Your car will light up with one of those categories, say "A1," for example, and then you can look at your list and see what that involves.

Basically, though, Honda calls for oil changes (and tire rotations) every 7,500 miles.
I'm planning to change the oil each 3k to 4k miles, and rotate the tires every other oil change.

Other than that, with 100,000 miles (give or take) between tune-ups (platinum plugs), you're looking at things like air filter changes, brakes (eventually) and so on.

Go see your dealerships service folks and ask for a printout of the maintenance items.

Regards,

Old 04-25-2006, 11:33 AM
HCF Member

in your honda manual they should have a schedual to follow with the about of time or kms in between and when you should do what..

Old 04-25-2006, 04:47 PM

The 06 has sensors that will let you know when just about anything will need any kind of maintainence but I perfer to do it sooner myself. I don't like to go right up to the point it has to be done. I drive my car hard and I will do anything extra I can to keep it up and running in top shape. You take car of your car your car will take care of you.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:29 AM

Re: >in your honda manual they should have a schedual to follow...

They don't have a schedule like they used to (i.e service points listed by accumulated mileage).

With the 2006 Civic Maintainence Minder System, you're supposed to wait for the car to tell you when it needs servicing. There are no "do this at x,xxx miles, and do that at xx,xxx miles" spelled out anywhere--not on line, not in the owners manual. It's all by "Perform service A1" when the car tells you to:

A display shows Maintenance Minder System service items based on vehicle use. The Maintenance Minder system automatically indicates when to have standard service performed based on actual driving conditions (tracked by the ECU) and it decides if the car is being used in standard or severe conditions for maintenance purposes. The display indicates (via alpha-numeric codes, such as A1, etc.) when to change the oil, air cleaner, transmission fluid, spark plugs, coolant, when to rotate the tires, etc.

It's a change from the former mileage-based system that will take time getting used to, I feel.

Regards,