General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Rad cap question.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:52 PM
HCF Member
Default Rad cap question.....

so my engine started getting hot again and i had just had my head milled and a new head gasket put on so i wasnt here what was wrong....when i went to check my cap i noticed that one of the seals off the cap had come off....do you guys think thats the reason and will it work maybe without since it still seems tight on there??? Im just wondering cause its a honda cap and i just got it like a month ago so i dont know why the seal would come off already.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:40 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Rad cap question.....

anyone???

Old 09-13-2007, 05:59 PM
HCF Member

Well... Do you have the good amount of Coolant? Is it leaking from the cap? If you have the good amount and it's not leaking from the cap... The cap isn't the problem. Make sure you have the right amount of coolant?

If it was the head gasket, there would be oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil, so check your oil If it's white...

Old 09-13-2007, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

i know its not the head gasket again...the cap could still mess up if its letting pressure out but im not sure...the water is boiling in the overflow tank and then it kinda gets sucked back in like its suppose to do.The cap isnt leaking fluid but that doesnt mean that its not working properly either.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:33 PM
HCF Member

The rad cap should be nothing. get one from the junkyard or something. Im sure a local autopart store should have one. Also.... have you made sure the thermostat is working. Checking the 2 radiator hoses to see if its flowing when it should be? I have a thermostat that i could sell you for like 5 bucks because i thought i had the same problem.. it wasnt so its brand new in box. If your near the Dayton, ohio area. Let me know.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If the outer seal is bad the coolant will go into the bottle but it won't come back to the radiator when the engine cools. Eventually the radiator level will be low even though the bottle is full.

Don't be so quick to assume there is no leak inside the engine any more. Have the test where they sniff for combustion gas coming out of the radiator performed. Ideally this would be done by someone other than who replaced the head gasket.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: xramseyx

The rad cap should be nothing. get one from the junkyard or something. Im sure a local autopart store should have one. Also.... have you made sure the thermostat is working.
do that first, if it's leaking fluid it could be the cause also, i had to replace hoses on my dads van bc it was leaking fluid.