General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

remote start

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 09:16 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: remote start

did i miss something... an alarm isnt an electric car starter.
I guess you did. A lot of higher end alarms now offer a lot more than a simple alarm and kill switch. They have various auxillary functions. This thread got me curious as to the possibilities mine could do if it were a "automatic, fuel injected vehicle" and they seem endless. Viper apparently doesn't make neutralizers, bloody *******! It can remote start, roll the windows up or down, heat up the car or start to cool it down with climate control, rev up a bit to warm up the engine, and the list goes on. It's sort of how cell phones initially could only make phone calls (Zack Morris era) but now they do practically everything (calculate figures, alarm clock, etc.) except cook us breakfast. Anyways, hope that gives you a bit of insight.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Mad7s

It's sort of how cell phones initially could only make phone calls (Zack Morris era) but now they do practically everything (calculate figures, alarm clock, etc.) except cook us breakfast.
They even take pictures now, go online, I pay my bill with my cell phone, some even shoot video. A little OT but I have heard that in the not to near future you will be able to charge abything to your cell number, kinda like a credit card and the price just gets added to you bill monthly.

Anyway, alarms are really no longer just alarms, they can do almost anything. We used one so I guy could put his top up and down in his SSR (that chevy truck thing) and we have used them to control airbags, when you arm it the truck lowers to the ground (harder to steal) and when you want to get back in it you hit a button on the remote and the whole thing pops back up for you. You can turn on your headlights, defroster, window wipers, if its electrical you can work it with an alarm.

Old 05-15-2005, 01:32 PM
HCF Member

We used one so I guy could put his top up and down in his SSR (that chevy truck thing) and we have used them to control airbags, when you arm it the truck lowers to the ground (harder to steal) and when you want to get back in it you hit a button on the remote and the whole thing pops back up for you.
Not in my wildest dreams would I have imagined something to that extent. Tight.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:25 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: LEVIII

They prob wont do it because installers have been sued before when it starts and does damage to other peoples property or runs over a kid. Even if the guy whos car it is in is cool and says hed never sue and he is not lying about it you have no control over who it hits or runs over.
id think that if they made you sign a contract sayin that the owner is in full control of their beastly man button controls and if their car goes on a crazed killing spree because you hit the wrong damn button it was in no way the installers problem and/or fault, theyd do it

but thats just me

Old 05-16-2005, 06:31 PM
HCF Member

id think that if they made you sign a contract sayin that the owner is in full control of their beastly man button controls and if their car goes on a crazed killing spree because you hit the wrong damn button it was in no way the installers problem and/or fault, theyd do it
Yeah, most people with common sense would expect something like that and think it would be valid, but thanks to our wonderful age of litigation this is not so.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:05 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Mad7s

but thanks to our wonderful age of litigation...
u mean the one where you can sue for spilling coffee on yourself? and where you can sue because your kids are fat? (lol i actually think congress passed a law where you cant do s*it like that anymore)

Old 05-17-2005, 09:24 PM

People will sue anyone for anything nowadays. It sucks.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

hey are all those guitars in yer avatar yours?
Yes, mine... ALL MINE!!! Actually that picture is missing my project guitar..

Old 05-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

all you need is a test light and you can hook it up yourself. The remote start should come with fairly detailed instructions on what wires connect to what on your igintion switch. Then just test the wires with the test light to see what ones are hot when the igintion is off and hot when on then you just figure out which are your accessory wires and your good to go. The only other thing you have to do is find your tach wire under your hood so the remote start knows when the motor turned over otherwise even when it starts the remote start will just keep trying to start it even though its already started. Then just ground out your neutrel (sp) safety switch so the car can start without pushing the clutch in, one more wire hooks to your brake lamp switch (above the brake pedal) so if the key isn't inserted the car will stall if the brake is pushed and the last wire goes to your e brake switch, this way the car wont remote start without the e brake being on, so long as its good and tight if it does remote start in gear it wont go to far too fast, hopefully.

A repair manual (haynes or chilltons) will also tell you where these wires are and the color of them.

Good luck with that.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

hey are all those guitars in yer avatar yours?
Yes, mine... ALL MINE!!! Actually that picture is missing my project guitar..
oh im gunna steal your idea :P but i only have my electric and acoustic [>:]

levi...i agree w/ u...you could parallel park downtown, someone behind you would try to pull out and then hit their mirror, leaving hundreds of dollars of damage on yer car and some of your paint on the back of their mirror that they could jsut clean of...and theyd sue for it

Quick Reply: remote start