General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

ROYAL PURPLE

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 07:48 PM
H22
HCF Member
Default ROYAL PURPLE

i HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT ROYAL PURPLE THE MOTOR OIL. I WAS WONDERING CUZ IT SAYS IN THE BOTTLE THAT IT GIVE YOU MORE HP AND TQ. AND WAS WONDERIN IF ITS TRUE. I HAVE A 97 INTEGRA LS IN MY 95 CIVIC HATCH AND WONDERIN HOW MUCH MORE HP AND TQ WILL I GAIN IF I USE IT.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:10 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: ROYAL PURPLE

It has been proven to gain HP and TQ. But not on huge levels. Take off your caps please. Its hard to read when you do that.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i ran royal purple when i installed my turbo kit which was like 40 dollar oil changes. I now run mobil 1 synthetic oil and havent seen one bit of difference in hp/tq increase or decrease.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:43 PM

i heard the differance over regular oil is like 1% which will not be felt on a street car with 100hp

Old 10-26-2006, 07:10 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: ef4life

i heard the differance over regular oil is like 1% which will not be felt on a street car with 100hp
Same. I was talking to a friend at Napa and he said it's way overrated, and that a lot of people are realizing that now. It's actually on sale for about 30% off right now because it's not selling.

Valvoline SynPower FTMFW!!

Old 10-26-2006, 07:38 AM
adc

Here is a great forum for oil information. http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...eads.php?Cat=0

Royal Purple is no better (at best) than Mobil1. You won't see any difference in HP.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:46 PM

Yea dont waist your money on the purple stuff. Just hit up the regular stuff.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:02 PM
HCF Member

If this is just a street car with near-stock power levels, stick with a good quality dino oil or any good brand of synthetic. If you're going to up the power levels DRASTICALLY and run the car really hard, RedLine sells some very good synthetic.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:21 AM

The biggest benefit of synthetics in general is the ability to flow better than dino oil when cold. Especially if you live in a cold climate. For those of you who start your ride cold then race the engine you are NOT letting the oil flow to where it's needed. I never race a cold engine - NEVER. The majority of engine wear is on cold engine start up. Thus less engine wear.

I now regret NOT running synthetic the entire time in my 93 Honda. The difference between Royal Purple and Mobil 1 Extended or even regular Mobil 1 is not that extreme. If you can buy Royal purple for near the same price as Mobil 1 then I'd buy it. If your changing you oil with synthetic every 3000 miles you are wasting you money unless you have a coolant leak. If you have a known coolant leak use dino oil and changed frequently and get it fixed. I typically go 7500 to 10,000 sometimes 15000 miles depending on various factors on my Civic with Synthetic.

I run synthetic is all my vehicles including lawn mowers.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:24 PM
HCF Member

Yes, synthetic does flow better when cold, however, it handles far greater heat than dino oil. It is a major plus for anyone trying to run a high power motor. I understand in most cases, the average Civic will not come anywhere near that, but I did my greatest damage at high temps on my SHO. No oil cooling caused the oil to be too thin and I spun a bearing.

I run Mobil 1 in my daily driven (to read grandma-style driving) Civic and RedLine in my SHO. In general, synthetic oils protect much better and keep the motor nice and clean. For a car you plan on keeping a while, I'd recommend it. If you don't plan on keeping it, just put some good dino oil in and you'll be fine for many miles.

Quick Reply: ROYAL PURPLE