General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Seat adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Default Seat adjustments

New to this forum, new to the Civic.

We just bought a 2008 Civic Sedan LX. We loved the car after the test drive, bought it last week, and still love it, with one exception. As with most test drives, ours lasted about 30 minutes, which gave us a pretty good indication of the performance, controls, etc. All exceeded our expectations, so we bought it. The day after we purchased it, we had to make an unplanned trip to Moline IL, about a 10 hour round trip. We were excited to break in the Civic with a road trip. After about two hours though, My wife and I both came to the realization that our backs were killing us. No amount of adjusting helped. A combination of the Lumbar support pad and the way the upper part of the seat slanted back even in the most upright position was the cause. I was able to find a compromise that worked for me, but my wife finished the trip thinking we had made a big mistake. She is the primary driver, and has a daily hour long commute one-way to work. I guess my first question is whether there is a way to tone down the lumbar support from the inside of the seat back (our seats have several adjustments, but the lumbar support isn't one of them). If that is not possible, does anyone make aftermarket seats for the civic that would be color-matched to the standard honda interiors? Or any other comments or ideas would be welcomed.

I know all the so-called experts say you need lumbar support, but everyone's back is different, and ours are both not working well with it.