General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

security

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Default security

Hey Guys I have some security question my 2000 si was stolen two times and i am looking around for a good steering wheel lock or anything that can protect this car any advise

Old 05-14-2009, 08:41 AM
HCF Member

You should invest in a nice alarm system first off. Next you should make and install a kill switch. A kill switch is a small switch that must turned on in order for the car to start. You can hook one up to the fuel pump so that when the switch is off no fuel will go to the engine. Make sure to hide the switch well and be creative with it cause ever hiding spot has already been thought of. Next get a club. Thats the bar that goes over the steering wheel, but dont use it on the steering wheel lol. Place it in between the shifter and e-brake. Make sure the longer end of the club is facing the engine side of the car. This way they cant even shift. I usually leave it in third so that even if they get the car started it will be nearly impossible to get the car moving. And if you really want to be safe get another club to put over the wheel as well.

EDIT: Just so you know the club over the wheel doest work too well because you can simple cut the rubber steering wheel and slide the club off, doesnt take to long. Dont rely on the club, they are mostly there just to slow the robber down.

Last edited by croninc; 05-14-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 PM
HCF Member

an alarm with multiple sirens.
kill switch
pedal locks
lojack

Old 05-15-2009, 12:03 PM
HCF Member

A good watch dog, LOL

Well Addiction2bass made a good DIY for a kill switch here's a link to it: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=68897
My 2 cents.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:20 PM
HCF Member

You can get a new steering wheel that comes off.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:37 PM

thank you all someone mention lojack i will tell you all a little story about lojack by the way i have lajack installed in my car, when my car got stolen i call 911 and make a report the police station told me i had to go to the station to activate the lojack i had no way to get to the station i had to call a friend at 2 in the morning and wait for him to arrive in the mean time my car is in the wrong hands, i got to the station activate the lajack after half an hour they call me and told me the car was found i went to the tow ward and guys the car locks like it was coming off the assembly line everything was gone. so with that said i think i waste my money installing a lojack

Old 05-17-2009, 04:48 PM

I live in a bad area, and a car used to get broken into about once a month or so. They tried to take my jeep twice, and then busted into a van of mine. The police said to get a club to put on the cars - and as soon as I did that, the break ins stopped. Completely. Even the cops admit that if someone wants your car, they will take it. But a club can slow them down enough that it really helps the odds in your favor. Obviously this shouldn't be your only line of defense, but for $30 it seems to help a lot.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by RAVIE
thank you all someone mention lojack i will tell you all a little story about lojack by the way i have lajack installed in my car, when my car got stolen i call 911 and make a report the police station told me i had to go to the station to activate the lojack i had no way to get to the station i had to call a friend at 2 in the morning and wait for him to arrive in the mean time my car is in the wrong hands, i got to the station activate the lajack after half an hour they call me and told me the car was found i went to the tow ward and guys the car locks like it was coming off the assembly line everything was gone. so with that said i think i waste my money installing a lojack
Even so, LoJack will give you $2500 (or is it $2000?) if your car is found and it's "totaled", so no, it's not a waste of money.

The best thing you can do is get an alarm, full coverage, and LoJack. Then if it does get stolen (which the alarm will help prevent) and it's found stripped, you'll get the value of the car in insurance PLUS the $2500 from LoJack.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:49 PM

good tip

Old 05-18-2009, 02:07 PM
HCF Member

On my 94' dx, I have to hold down the clutch for the car to even turn over so if you have that kind of situation, I use a club that goes over the clutch pedal. Good luck.

Quick Reply: security