General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Short Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:41 PM
HCF Member
Default Short Problem

Ok lately ive had the problem where if I dont turn on my car for 2+ days it wont have enough power to crank over and start yet my stereo, alarm, lights etc. all work. I do a quick jump and my car starts.

Today I noticed every time i go to start my car or turn it off from running a popping sound comes from my passenger side rear speaker yet it still plays music fine. Today I drove my car then parked to get something, when i came back i went to crank over to start i heard the popping sound and my car wouldnt crank over again. I decided to try taking the power wire off that speaker, after that my car started without a problem.

I am not yet sure if that is the main prob but is it possible that the speaker or wire is shorted and drawing way to much power causing the problem?

Old 03-18-2010, 04:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It sounds like you have an external amplifier for that speaker, and it is not shutting down like it should when you park the car. That will drain the battery. The remote wire to the amplifier needs to be wired to the head unit or the ignition so it turns off with the key off. If wired to a constant power source, the amplifier will stay on and drain the battery.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:28 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
It sounds like you have an external amplifier for that speaker, and it is not shutting down like it should when you park the car. That will drain the battery. The remote wire to the amplifier needs to be wired to the head unit or the ignition so it turns off with the key off. If wired to a constant power source, the amplifier will stay on and drain the battery.
I second this, because if the speaker wires were shorting out. for one, it would not produce sound from that speaker, and two when you turned the car off the deck would shut down, thus canceling any power flow.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:15 AM
HCF Member

Ok i see well i know the amp is connected strait to the battery so ill try and hook to to the fuse box if it even fits with everything else that is hooked up there

HOWEVER

My car has never had that prob til recently and that amp does shut off i think, the light turns off when i take the key out of the ignition. And all day today My car has been starting up with no problem what so ever and I have that one rear speaker disconnected from the power