Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Is this a short or a relay problem???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Default Is this a short or a relay problem???

Awhile ago I had a problem where I was just driving along and went to use my turn signal. The car is a 1995 Civic DX. As soon as I flipped it I heard a brief click and then my speedometer cluster went dead and I had no turn signal or hazzards. I checked the fuse in the engine bay fuse box and it was blown. I replaced this fuse and the same exact thing happened. Now even just trying to replace it without flipping the switches it blows. I really need some help on this one since it's the only thing keeping it from being road legal. What could be causing this problem and where should I start? Another thing to add is that the cluster lighst do not work either. By lights I mean indicator lights. Only the SRS light goes on and off when I turn the ignition instead of the typical 6 or so.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:29 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Is this a short or a relay problem???

Blown Fuse = Short Circuit
Does it happen with the hazards?

Old 01-24-2006, 10:33 PM

Do you have any idea where it could be? Yes it happens with the hazards.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:36 PM
HCF Member

Yea, i think its a short circiut, but i need to know where in the circuit the short could be so i need to know if the fuse will blow if you use the hazards to narrow down the possible parts of the circuit. And i doubt it will be a relay because i don't think that relays can short.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:37 PM

Yes, it does happen with the hazards as well.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:40 PM
HCF Member

I've been looking at the schematic for the turn signal system, its quite confusing. What i've gotten so far is that when you turn the turn signals on, it turns some lights on in the gauge. And then you say that the fuse blows. I think what is going on is that you have a short where the turn signal sends power to the guage to turn the dash signals on. Do the turn signals work after the fuse blows?

Old 01-24-2006, 10:42 PM

No, they do not work once I hear that click and the fuse is blown. This also keeps the speedometer from working as well.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:48 PM
HCF Member

Here is what i suspect the problem might be. I'm not 100% sure, i've just looked at the schematic for about 10-15min and taken what you have told me. There is a wire that goes from the Turn Signal/Hazard relay, its Grn/Orn. This wire goes to the dash to turn the little arrows on as well as going to the actual lights to turn them on. I think that it may be possible that this wire has been shorted. There is also a Grn/Wht wire that goes to the relay, this wire could also have shorted. Check both of these. I hope it fixes the problem. It is possible that i am wrong because i really don't get the schematic 100%, but i hope i have given you a good idea of how to fix the problem.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:50 PM

Sounds good enough to me. I'll have to check this out when I get some time to get in there and look around. If I can't find it'll look around for some electrical shop. Another question...would this fuse being blown cause the battery to drain or is that just a bad battery?

Old 01-24-2006, 10:55 PM
HCF Member

If a fuse is blown, there will be no power flowing through that particular circuit. So, no this circuit should not be drawing current. However, your car could have a parasitic draw. A parasitic draw is something that draws current from the batter that isn't suppose to. If you have a parasitic draw problem, when you go in the morning to start your car after it has been sitting all night it is possible that your battery could be dead. To find the parasitic draw, hook up a ampmeter to your battery (remember it must be in series). Disconnect the radio and ECU fuses. If there is a current beign shown on the meter, then there is a parasitic draw. Start pulling fuses until you find the fuse(s) that will make the meter show 0A, this circuit has the parasitic draw.