General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Si or regular Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:20 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Si or regular Coupe?

I'd take the EX for mileage and slightly more luxury. If you want to go quick, get a moto. You'd be giving up MPG, ride comfort, and purchase $$ with an Si, never to use the potential of it. If you later want more from an EX motor, boost it, build it, swap it, and/or spray.

All that said, I've never really needed for more power, and my non-VTEC '00 VP auto-tranny sedan is rated for only about 107HP. I rarely exceed the speed limit by much either, but I do accelerate quickly on highway entrance ramps, and I travel at high altitudes on the occasional roadtrip. 140HP will move a sanely-driven Civic just fine. These cars don't weigh much and they're fairly aerodynamic.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:09 AM
HCF Member

Even if you dont drive fast you can still use the extra 60 or so horsepower. Accelerating. 0-60 for a dx/lx/ex is like 8.5 seconds and the SI is like 6.5. 2 seconds faster. I bet anything the gas mileage for the si isnt even that bad. Im driving a 99 prelude right now and its getting like 25mpg with me vtecing it. I know that doesnt sound THAT good but when I was driving my 07 civic lx it was getting like 29. Even though it says it gets 30-40mpg that was on the old system. It really does get more like 28-29 mpg and sometimes over 30. I think the best i got was a 32. So lets say you fill up 5 gallons a fill up thats only 3-4 dollars more a fill up from less mpg and premium is only like 1-2 dollars extra so thats about 5-6 dollars extra a fill up. It really doesnt cost that much more. I would get the SI despite the fact that you dont speed. You can still accelerate fast on those freeway ramps and stoplights. But EX isnt a bad choice either. Btw the ex gets a 16.6 1/4 time and the SI gets a 15.1. Its faster then a prelude!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:32 AM
HCF Member

I've even been reconsidering getting an SI, which is what I planned on doing in the next couple of years. With the price of gas on a constant rise, I complain enough about having to fill up my LX with 87 octane. I've started to just consider getting an EX coupe instead so I don't have to pay for premium.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 AM

Differences between Si & EX Civics:

Engine:
K20Z3 (197hp, 139lb-ft) v R18A1 (140hp, 128lb-ft)
Transmission:
Close-ratio 6MT v STD 5MT/5AT
Helical LSD v none
Steering:
Electrical power steering v belt driven
Turning ratio:
13.62 v 13.73
Brakes:
11.8/10.2 Discs v 10.3/10.2 Discs
Wheels:
17" 10 spoke alloy v 16" 5 spoke alloy
Weight:
2945 v 2738/2806 (MT/AT)
Fuel economy:
21/29/24 v 26/34/29 (about $3/tank difference in cost to fillup for premium)
Interior:
dimensions are the same, but the Si has sport styled seats with larger bolstering, also black with red stitching, alcantra and mesh. Si interior is black.
Stereo:
Si has 350 watt w/built in subwoofer v std 160 watt 6 speaker
Suspension:
Si has different spring and damper rates to provide a more sport oriented setup v standard highway cruise setup in other Civics.
Exhaust's are different, Si has more sport tuned.

And the biggest difference, is the aggressive cam lobe for VTEC up over 5800rpm.

personally, I went for the Si v an EX-L sedan, and I don't regret any part of that decision.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM
HCF Member

Get an EX. They have pep when you need it, and get good mpg when driven normally. I personally can't stand the way the new Civics look. I have a 99 which I plan to drop a B18C into, but if I didn't have a need for speed I would stick with the stock D16Y8. It's a great motor, and a great car. VW is crap... My buddies Golf was in the shop 3 times two weeks after he bought it.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:09 PM
HCF Member

if you dont truly know the differences of an SI then you probably dont need it. Stick with a base civic IMO.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:35 PM

I own an 08 EX-L. It's a very nice are. Its also a coupe with the 5 speed auto and not the 6 manual. Its a great car. The ride is quite and smooth, the breaking is fantastic, and the sound system is great. The leather wrapped steering wheel has all controls for the radio and the touch screen gps is awesome. Those are the pros. The cons. Im 5'11. I need to keep the seat back all the way and watch my foot when I step out so I dont put a scuff mark on the matte finished door. The engine has 140 hp at like 5500 RPM and horrible low end torque. Once you get it to 5kRPM it gets going and if you gas it right the shift is smooth and continues momentum instead of a choppy shift automatic or not. The SI comes with all the luxury of the EX-L with 197hp V6 but a weak 139 ft lbs torque. I would go with it just because when I bought the ex-l it was 22500 msrp and now its 19500. The SI's msrp is cheaper than my EX-L was just last year. Its a nice car, the EX-L. Its not totally sluggish, but it will beat a corolla or camry. I can only imagine the SI being better. When I see one I kick myself in the *** just cause the EX-L is a great package with better wheels, engine, and suspension; and with some tweaking who knows? Go check it out. Im telling you for the money, at least my car, is a good smooth car that girls honestly love. That red SI badge on black is soooo badass too. Hope I could help, ask me any questions about my ex-l. LET ME ADD MY CIVIC DOES NOT GET THE GAS MILAGE THE STICKER SAID

Old 02-25-2008, 07:54 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 69NovaSS

I own an 08 EX-L. It's a very nice are. Its also a coupe with the 5 speed auto and not the 6 manual. Its a great car. The ride is quite and smooth, the breaking is fantastic, and the sound system is great. The leather wrapped steering wheel has all controls for the radio and the touch screen gps is awesome. Those are the pros. The cons. Im 5'11. I need to keep the seat back all the way and watch my foot when I step out so I dont put a scuff mark on the matte finished door. The engine has 140 hp at like 5500 RPM and horrible low end torque. Once you get it to 5kRPM it gets going and if you gas it right the shift is smooth and continues momentum instead of a choppy shift automatic or not. The SI comes with all the luxury of the EX-L with 197hp V6 but a weak 139 ft lbs torque. I would go with it just because when I bought the ex-l it was 22500 msrp and now its 19500. The SI's msrp is cheaper than my EX-L was just last year. Its a nice car, the EX-L. Its not totally sluggish, but it will beat a corolla or camry. I can only imagine the SI being better. When I see one I kick myself in the *** just cause the EX-L is a great package with better wheels, engine, and suspension; and with some tweaking who knows? Go check it out. Im telling you for the money, at least my car, is a good smooth car that girls honestly love. That red SI badge on black is soooo badass too. Hope I could help, ask me any questions about my ex-l. LET ME ADD MY CIVIC DOES NOT GET THE GAS MILAGE THE STICKER SAID
I think you mean 6 speed manual, cause the k20z3 engine is a 4-cylinder. Powerful one at that

Your cars still fairly new, once it breaks in more it'll prolly get better mileage 69NovaSS.

The newer Si's don't get horrible gas mileage, 29 highway isn't bad for a performance vehicle.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:54 PM
HCF Member

Here is the mileage you can expect with careful driving. My car is an '06 LX sedan with manual tranny. Your mileage should be better during the winter months than mine here in northern Illinois. Maybe someone has a logfile of their SI to compare it to.

Name:  logbookMedium.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  61.9 KB